Author Topic: seized rear wheels  (Read 2140 times)

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
seized rear wheels
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
Both rear wheels are seized so I made a puller to remove the brake drum/ hub but nothing will move. Is there a way to undo the brake shoes from behind the backing plate, I am familiar with the newer style that have the shoes held on by two pins and springs? Looks like I will have a lot of questions now that I am on here, thanks, Henry.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:15:41 PM by our53henryj »
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: seized rear wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
There are two square adjusters on the back of the backing plate. Turning them moves a cam in an arc which pushes out on the shoes to press them against the drum. Adjusting them likely won't help as the wheel cylinders are likely stuck so the shoes won't be able to move/retract. It would still be worth a try as you never know, it may be able to move but the problem is you can't see which way you're moving the shoe when you turn the adjuster. You can try turning the drum while turning the adjust to see if it will move easier in other positions.
In any case, you should still be able to get the drum off. Since it's a cone shaped hole on a cone shaped axle, it requires you "shock" it off. You need a big puller and BIG hammer.
Best method I know is  to take nut off, then put it back on backwards, turning it only far enough for the nut to be flush with the end of the axle. Then put on the wheel puller, and place a soft piece of iron between the wheel puller shaft and the axle shaft for a buffer so you don't mushroom the end and whack it good and hard and they will come off.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:54:11 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
None of my regular pullers are big enough to go on the studs so I made one out of 1/2" plate and whacked the puller and nothing moved, but I think that I will try and use my big sledge hammer this time. More force to scare the thing off. As said neither wheel will turn which leads me to believe that both brake drums are rusted to the shoes which is why I wanted to undo the shoes. What holds the shoes onto the backing plate? I am going to order a maintenance manual on DV soon, thanks again.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:25 PM »
The brake shoe retainer springs may have rusted/weakened allowing the shoes to bind against the
drum. Make sure you support the axle behind the backing plate to support the axle when you hit the
puller with the hammer and to stop all your hammer force being transferred to the axle spring. This
will concentrate your force on the brake drum and it should come off. After several blows to the
puller, hit the flat part of the drum in the 12,3,6,9 clock position and repeat.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
Here's a link to some photos I took of mine last summer. See if they help. Click here -
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=dd2efab7f7c2d2b9bcfd7207a7b1fe91&sid=1SatmLdmyYuc
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
Thanks Bill and Lowell. Now I see how it goes together. PS I should not be working on it yet as my 57 is partially apart for some winter work, Henry.