Author Topic: What makes a Carolina a Carolina?  (Read 19111 times)

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What makes a Carolina a Carolina?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Vacuum wipers were standard on Carolina and DeLuxe. Normally they were fed from the vacuum booster part of the double action fuel pump. Sometimes the correct double action fuel pump wasn't available so people would use a single one. Then they hooked the vacuum hose directly from the wiper motor to the intake manifold.  This didn't bother the wipers much.  Maybe the Carolina was so cheap that Kaiser only gave them the single type fuel pump ?  Vacuum wipers were kinda lame with or without the booster.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 12:52:51 AM »
Boy I am glad that it does not rain much in Yakima!!  Thanks for the background

Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
According to the info put out by Kaiser-Frazer to dealers, the vacuum booster fuel pump was supposed to provide more uniform vacuum than off the manifold.  When you gave it more gas (speeding up, climbing steep hills, etc) and tapped off the manifold, the wipers would run slower as vacuum decreased.  Taking your foot off the gas momentarily shot vacuum up and the wipers would go faster until vacuum stabilized.  That's why the booster fuel pump was considered better.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
The AG group may indicate whether or not the car would have a "vacuum boosted fuel pump."  It does on the HJ AG groups - a lot of Js did not have the dual action pump (surprise, surprise). Those that did, saw little difference, vacuum wipers are still pretty worthless - especially on the hiway when you're in overdrive. I always apply Rain-X to the windows and then the wipers are not needed. Drove my '52 all the way to Sublette (360+ miles) in the rain and never turned the wipers on. They probably wouldn't have  helped much if I had.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:31:15 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
The Carolina Dataplates I have seen have an Accessory Group 29 on them.  Jack has indicated in the Handbook and on this Forum that he has seen no explanation of Carolina Accessory Groups.  I would think the source vacuum is probably a mid run change or even a what is available call by the production line supervisor.  Thoughts?
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
It was my understanding that all 1953 Kaisers came either with booster pump and vacuum wipers or single state pump and electrics;  I will check the Carolina specific parts list supplement (which is already in KFOCI HANDBOOK 5.0, for release later in the year I am told) and see what it says.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
The Carolina Supplement Parts List really does not have much in it.  As mostly they just removed things.

http://circlekf.com/kflit/kfsourcepageresults.php?pub=KF&typ=PM&nbr=760&seq=&pag=001&Submit=Search
Nothing I can see on the Fuel Pump.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
My Carolina is equipped with "bananas", bumper guards, 2 sunvisors, inside hood release, horn ring and hydramatic trans.  From what I have read, if you could get an item on a deluxe, it could also be put on a Carolina.
I plan to add a model 100170 radio in the spring and convert the transmission dipstick from under the floor to under the hood.
 Tom
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:53:42 PM by Carolina Fan »

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »
My dad had a 53 Manhattan that we would put accessories that we found in the salvage yard to
load it up. I also had several Carolina 2 doors that I would upgrade to a Manhattan trim level
from cars in the salvage yard. It would be easy to see why so many variations exist today. I also
upgraded my Allstate with HJ trim items. KF products were being crushed at a record rate. The
salvage yard said we could strip a entire KF product for $35. back in the 60's and we did.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
Your story is typical boatingbill. We did a lot of that too so there are many examples out there that have been updated/altered by restorers and enthusiats. Sometimes it's hard to tell what was and should be original. The tags are often the telltale.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
That's exactly why I want to build or unManhattanize a Carolina now and make it as close to how they started as possible.  Five years from now it will be even harder to say "What makes a Carolina a Carolina".
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
Other than adding the radio and moving the tranny dipstick, I intend to leave my Carolina just as it is.  I believe it was delivered with the accessories I mentioned in my last post. Since it is such a nice car why would I ever "Manhattanize" it?  I sincerely hope other Carolina owners feel the same way.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:08:30 PM by Carolina Fan »

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
Carolina Fan: How do you intend to move the transmission dip stick from under the floor to under the hood?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
This Carolina Owner has two Carolinas and intends to bring them back as original as possible.  That is why my interest in this topic.  Maybe we should start a Carolina registry so we can help preserve this cause.
We would only need one sheet of paper.  Merry Christmas
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »
I have 2 replies

SuperK226: Club member Muriel Tinsley has developed a way to move the trans dipstick under the hood.  Contact him..I know he would be glad to share his method and provide guidance as you do it.

PNW_oldmags:  I think a Carolina registry would be great!  I also think a Carolina category on the forum would be nice.  Lets hope other Carolina owners will post their thoughts on both our suggestions.

Tom Nichols 6539
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:15:59 PM by Carolina Fan »