Author Topic: Routing of cables thru FOD  (Read 1541 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Routing of cables thru FOD
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »
What cables, (vent, speedo, OD, and choke) go thru what holes in the front of dash?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Routing of cables thru FOD
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi Terry, here's a picture of my '53 dash which is original. The '51 dash has one difference and that is the windsheild wiper knob; on the photo below, the wiper knob is mounted on the dash face, above the ignition switch, whereas on '51 and '52 Js (all models) it's located top center of the dash. Other than that, this is how they were originally -

Add-on accessories such as overdrive and heater, were mounted below the dash using chrome hangers. The vent controls actually passed through the steering column molding as shown in the photo.
Let me know if this helps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:31:38 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks, but I need to know what holes in the front of dash (formerly called "firewall") each cable goes thru.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
Hi again Terry. I don't have any good pictures but I'll see if these will help - the choke cable and passenger side vent cable (if so equipped) were routed through the grommet with the two metal halves around it as seen here (upper right) -

If the car did not have overdrive, the speedometer cable also comes through that same grommet as it must go to the passenger side of the trans unlike the OD equipped cars which the cable goes into the trans on the driver's side. If the car  has OD, the speedo cable comes through a grommet mounted about 11 o'clock position on the driver side air vent damper opening as shown here just to left of center (as viewing the photo) at the top -

In this picture, I had the driver side vent damper out so I could install my new wire harness.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:00:29 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »