Author Topic: Hj at auction  (Read 3322 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Hj at auction
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
I'm not going to guess a price on this one,nor am I going to point out the inconsistancies. It is such a shame that so many "restorers" do not take the time to do just a little research and spend so much money without any apparent care.Just simple attention to detail and the same money could have produced  an outstanding car.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC0413-151941
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Hj at auction
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
I wonder what it would cost to fix this poor little car?
It looks so wrong!
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
lots of money directed in  the / a non-restoration direction...
nice car...
better to keep it alive 8)
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

Skipplehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
What would you guess they paid for that restoration?  I have been toying with the notion of talking with White Post for my HJ.  Does anyone in the forum have any experience with White Post?
1951 Henry J.
6 cyl, O/D
KFOCI # 5949

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »
What would you guess they paid for that restoration?  I have been toying with the notion of talking with White Post for my HJ.  Does anyone in the forum have any experience with White Post?

ya know that depends on HOW MUCH work was done BY WHOM....
 a  /  that WHOLE CAR .... nothing under 25k

8)
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
This is why I keep telling people to do their homework before looking if they are not familiar with the cars.  I have seen cases where people bought vehicles (not just KF or Willys) that the owner said was "original" only to find out that the car was so far off the mark it was silly!  Embarrassed by their mistake, such cars go back in the garage never to be seen again. 

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
This is an excellent local restoration company. They have done many many senior national AAACA winners. Their shop time is $75/hr.Their quality is superb. I have spoke to 3 or 4 folks over the last couple of years about their costs in restoring a Henry J.The bottom price for a acceptable restoration seems to be about $25,000. A quality frame off,includeing engine and front end would go for about 40,000.Keep in mind some folks consider a MAACO $500 paint job adequate,while others spend $4,000 to $6,000 for a first rate one. The Henry J is a simple car and a semi-skilled owner can do wonders, but restoring anything that requires body work is usually out of our skill set.

Scroll through the 50's gallery.

http://www.harbor-auto.com/#/home/
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Not being an expert in HJ's what is wrong with the restoration?
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
There are some things that are not original and a bit shoddy in my opinion. The sagging center grill bar makes it look unprofessional right off the start. It's the first thing you see when you look at it and it clearly droops in the center. Probably missing the center support bar which is easy to fabricate if needed. The restorers may not have known this but you'd think they'd do some research and find out as that sagging grill bar clearly does not look right regardless. The four cylinder '53s had a single chrome (stainless actually) center bar on the windsheild. This was necessary as a dome light was standard on all '53s - not just Deluxes as some will claim - and the mirror had to be mounted on that center bar. The restorer likely got the gasket from Rudy which means it was probably not "punched" for the center bar. As a consequence, it has the '53 style mirror mounted where a '51/'52 style would go. The earlier mirror was larger and has a longer stem. Have a look at it in the picture. I can't imagine that style of rear view mirror is of much use mounted there. Also as a consequence, it has no dome light.
Originally, it said "Corsair" on the fender flank.
I use the term "unoriginal" as opposed to "wrong" as there are many out there who aren't concerned with originality or authenticity. Having things close to original makes them more saleable in most cases and can usually be achieved without too much additional effort/funds.
If someone wasn't concerned about these things, it may make a good car but that sagging grill bar really diminishes everything else on it if you ask me.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
It sold for $8,000. That had to hurt , but there were no engine shots and that usually means nothing good.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=KC0413-151941&entryRow=614
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE