Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 2380 times)

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Front suspension
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Hi I'm a new member of this forum.  Recently had the privilege of purchasing a 1955 Willys Bermuda with 70K miles in nice original condition, had been stored since last licensed in 1969.  Anyhow its sweet and two tone blue.  Will post pictures later.  Have brought it back to dependable driving condition.  However the front suspension is in dire need of rebuilding, supports, trunions, idler arm, shocks etc.  I have been unable to find a source of parts.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks.  Tom.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
Tough call. Spindles, A-arms and springs are still readily available since nothing ever goes wrong with them. The upper and especially the lower trunnions are the weak spots. The lower bolts tend to gulley out after 60 years and will give way, causing your wheel to become unattached to the lower A-arm. Bolts are not readily available, although a west coast member is now looking into reproducing them.
There are essentially two different lower trunnions and bolts: the smaller ones for the 1952, 1953 and very early 1954 Aeros; and the larger trunnions and bolts for the Kaiser-226 engined cars from 1954 and 1955. Not sure, but I believe the uppers stayed the same throughout all the years, but I will have to verify that with the parts book (more on that when I find my book). Examine the bolts closely and replace if they show any signs of "gulleying."
John Parker had a good stock of them and Rudy Phillips bought out his inventory when he retired. Rudy may still have them.
Rubber bushings can be pressed into the A-arms as needed except for early Larks, which had "solid-block" mounting, meaning the bushings were metal, perhaps bronze. The later, larger front ends were better and safer and they will just bolt up in place of the earlier models.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Aeroman;  Thanks for your reply.  How would I contact Rudy Phillips?  Just did a 150mi poker run with Sweet Willy 0n Saturday, ran great.  Easily cruises at 70-75 MPH.  Thanks again.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
He usually has an ad in the club's Newsbulletin. If you are not a paying member of the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club, then you will not see it. Join up, you won't be sorry.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.