Author Topic: Over drive cable routing 1951 Kaizer Still needed! Please help! Thanks  (Read 1110 times)

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
While I am waiting to hopefully sell my Kaiser I am going to keep plugging away and let my dad drive it some. I thought I would  put an over drive cable on it since I have the cable, and would like to obtain the correct  Kaiser handle. Also I would like to see the routing of the cable and the proper clamps. Can't find anything in any of my books. Thanks for the help. Cheers! Bill
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:24:35 PM by billmod12 »

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Over drive cable routing 1951 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
Still Needed Help! Yes I feel I can figure it out but would just like to see an original proper install to keep it close as possible and for education purpose. Thanks.  Can anyone share or point me to a picture of the routing for the over drive cable. Where it goes through the firewall , any clamps along the way, hook ups to tranny and lever etc. Also would like to obtain original used handle. Many Thanks Bill
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:20:42 PM by billmod12 »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Over drive cable routing 1951 Kaizer Still needed! Please help! Thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
I thought there might be someone who could get you some pictures but it's not always the case. I'll take a shot at answering and using some older pics I took of a car I no longer have in my stable.
According to the pictures, the OD cable mounts to the left of the steering column - see the first picture I uploaded, it has red arrow pointing at the cable.  It appears that it passed through the firewall under the air vent duct.  I know the Henry J actually had a "knockout" plug or slug, stamped into the firewall and you simply pop it out with a punch, put a rubber grommet in the slide the cable through. If the J has that, the Kaiser likely does too so have a look under the floormat / dash pad and see if you find one.
The two pictures which show the engine compartment in Weas' '51 Special were taken to show the entire engine compartment but I marked the OD cable with an arrow.  Have a look and see if these pix help
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:41:52 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
Many thanks!!Ok!! That is half of it. Can I assume it should run down the frame conveniently routed, and hook at the bottom back of the tranny with a suitable bracket, fashioned or factory, and come under the solenoid and attach to the rear leaver. When the handle is pushed in the leaver will be in the back position(OD) and pulled out (conventional Drive). Now,does anyone have or know of a fair used overdrive  handle and used cable bracket for the tranny. Thanks again!! Bill

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
Cable fastening at the back - here's how it is on the J, I believe the Kaiser is likely the same.  See attached.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios