Author Topic: Monthly President's Message  (Read 55075 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Monthly President's Message
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
Blanch was there long before I became a member and her toasts at the end of the Nationals will be remembered for many more years.  I'm leaving Friday and I'll look forward to seeing many of you at the meet.  It will be great!!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »
July President's Message

I'm a bit tardy with this month's message, but maybe that's a good thing as I have some updates to events occurring at the national meet.

First, as many of you know, the KFOCI will be opening our own museum within the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum in Ypsilanti, MI. Work has begun to move displays and cars around in the building. A large donation of literature, paperwork, and other items pertaining to Kaiser-Frazer from the late Blanche Mericle will be used to aid in the display, along with other items already on site. A non-profit foundation is being stood up that will be charged with running the museum, obtaining tax-deductible donations, as well as handling publicity. We plan to hold either the 2016 national, or a division meet at the site to officially open the complex to club members. By the way, let me know your thoughts on either.

Also, we plan to expand this website to better serve our members. Today's membership section of the site uses old code so we're looking at software that will make joining and renewing a membership much easier. In addition, members will be able to self-serve things like renewals, create their own membership roster, and update their own membership information. We're also looking at adding a members-only section where additional technical information and other things would be housed. Our current site is hands-down one of the best in the car collector circle - what's coming will make it even better!

I see great things for the KFOCI and those who attended the national meet and approved moving forward with these initiatives do as well. I thank each and every one of you who were there!

Speaking of meets, support your division and region and attend a meet this year. The club is all about it's members and it cannot exist without your support!

Jim

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
I am in favor of the museum and did vote for it. I have some concerns about the funding. I am in chicago for a couple of months and I plan to visit the museum to see for myself what it will look like. I am for having the convention there so everyone can enjoy it.
As for the web site we need a way to post our own pictures of cars, shows & meets I think people would enjoy them. There are no pictures on the curent site. I would be happy to post the pictures I take. I do not know how much capacity we have on the site.
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 05:16:18 AM »
Jim apparently forgot that there was NO funding approved for this project.  The board requested costs for set up of the 501c3 (legalzoom can do it for under $900.00 plus $400.00 filing fee to the IRS and a $20.00 fee to State of Michigan, while Jim wanted thousands of dollars for a friend who is an attorney) and the actual rental agreement (how much per sq foot, how much space will we actually have if there is additional cost for a share of utilities, security, etc, etc and the cost of insurance for things at the museum.  Once Jim has that, a special meeting of the Board of Directors will be called to decide if $10,000.00 from a club that keeps pleading poverty will be allocated in the belief that the 501c3 corporation at the center of this will be in a position to pay the $10,000.00 back
Also, Her Honor, Judge Judy Hartsfield, the probate judge who has Blanche's estate on her docket has requested a full inventory of all estate assets (including her bequest to either the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum or the KFOCI; Jim had no paperwork to document his claim it goes to the club) be turned in to her office no later than August 6 2014 so the financial status of the estate can be determined (assets vs. liabilities, creditor claims, etc).  This part can be verified by looking up Wayne County MI Probate Court's website and typing in Blanche's name for a status of estate.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
Allow me to set the record straight. The club approved a $10000 loan to start the museum. The attorney is not a friend of mine, instead she is someone I am aware of thanks to my work in the nonprofit space. Her fees are on par with the online "legal" sites. The benefit of a real person is the ability to make decisions. Think of it this way, would you trust your health to an online medical site? I wouldn't.

All donations from the Mericle estate went to the YAHM and not the club. Your statement is inaccurate.

A full accounting of the museum project will appear in a future bulletin. Until then, this trial by public opinion is closed.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
I agree with Jim.  Jack, while you may make some good points, I have learned that emails and forums are poor places to conduct sensitive business or make profound statements.   In a small club like KFOCI, it is imperative to treat each other with decorum and as family.  I don't always get along with my sisters, but I don't air that on Facebook or anything.

It's a start. Now, we as members and interested parties need to fund this project with donations and sweat equity.

I do like the idea of a future National meet there, and Blanche's heritage will be presented in the place it is meant to be, it will sort itself out. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:57:20 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:54 AM »
I stand corrected, and apologize. After discussion with others who attended the Board and/or Business meetings I realize I had confused approved funding for this project with the provisional approval for upgrading the club website. It is for that project that the Executive Board has been charged with researching other programs/options and must report back to the rest of the Board with 3 recommendations before final approval and allocation of funds (if any needed) is granted.

However,  there does seem to be some discrepancy about parts of Jim's presentation; specifically, who is the recipient of the Mericle collection. I, as well as some others, recall Jim stating that Blanche willed it to the club but now he says it was left to the YAHM. This makes more sense, as the YAHM is a 501c3 corporation and the club is not. This is important to the estate for tax purposes. When asked how the foundation could sustain itself financially after the initial club investment, Jim said that one option could be the sale of duplicate items in the Mericle collection. How is this possible if the club does not own the material? I hope there is more transparency, accountability and regular updates to the membership as this project moves forward.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:44 AM »
There was some confusion prior to the national convention around the Mericle donation. It's now been made clear that the literature, dealer items (banners and the like), and furniture have all been donated to the YAHM.

Several members have stepped forward and offered donations to help seed the museum's coffers. Anyone wishing to place a cash or other charitable donation have been asked to wait until the foundation's 501c3 status is in place. That work has started but as with anything involving government entities, it takes time.

As I mentioned earlier, we will be documenting progress in the monthly news bulletin for all to see.

This is an exciting time for the KFOCI. Now, let's channel those positive energies into the museum effort and make it the best it can be!

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Can we send money to a holding account to be designated for the museum and assoc. costs?    Would that be sent to the same address as for memberships?   Maybe get a bank account or set-aside going for this purpose rather then wait.
No old cars owned.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Can we send money to a holding account to be designated for the museum and assoc. costs?    Would that be sent to the same address as for memberships?   Maybe get a bank account or set-aside going for this purpose rather then wait.

I think Jim answered this question in his previous response.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
Jim stated anyone wishing to donate "has been asked to wait."  I am thinking - strike while the iron is hot.  Create a place to put donations NOW (within the club accounting architecture) and then transfer them in the future to the museum project.
No old cars owned.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
As to the museum: The Hudson Es*** (note how the censors eliminate the "s e x" from the word) Terraplane Historical Society (HETHS) now has a museum at the Miller Hudson dealership in Ypsi. See attached announcement in the most recent (July/August 2014) White Triangle News, their monthly magazine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:20:55 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:32 AM »
Jim is correct on not accepting money for the time being & not setting up a holding account.  I would suggest that anyone wanting to make a donation send Jim a Letter of Intent, advising that you want to contribute X dollars (or whatever) once the 501c3 is established & make good on the offer once the 501c3 is officially recognized by the IRS and donations can be accepted.  You can put a stipulation in the Letter of Intent that the offer will be retracted if the501c3 is not up and running by a certain date. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:49 AM »
Anyone wishing to donate to the museum will be able to do so thru the Kaiser Frazer Historical Foundation (a working title) once the 501c3 paperwork clears the governmental hurdles. That work is underway. Until then, as mentioned a letter of intent will let us know of your desire to support the museum.

Getting all of the paperwork approved can take anywhere from 30 to 180 days. I realize that's quite a spread but that's what we were told when we inquired.

More information will be in the next monthly news bulletin where everyone will get the same update at the same time.

Until then, you're welcome to direct any questions to me.

Thanks!

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
If you tell the government it will be a liberal organization you will get it fast if you tell them you are a conservative organization you may never get it.
Just saying
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite