Author Topic: Jump Starting  (Read 2214 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Jump Starting
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
I had a dead battery the other day and someone offered to jump start me, but not being very well versed in all things electrical I declined, not knowing if it would be okay to jump start a positive ground 6 volt system with a negative ground 12 volt.  Any experts know the answer?

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: Jump Starting
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »
I have had no problem doing it. BUT, make sure you don't have any lights on, ect.. ( you can blow a bulb ) Also, make sure you have possitive to possitve. One more thing, do it quick, as it will turn over very quick, and should start up right away, you don't want to keep them hooked up very long. That said, you should have no problem. I drive my 53 kaiser Manhattan only on weekends, so I do put it on the 6 volt charger for about 1 hour before I drive on Ssaturday, then it's ok for the rest of the weekend, but after sitting all week, well...
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Garage Philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »
After frying a set of points and condenser, I'll not do it again.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
Try connecting directly to the starter rather than the battery terminal; that seemed to work the one time I did it, and as above, disconnect quickly once it starts. Suggest acquiring from Harbor Freight for about $30 a 6-volt charger. I did find some 6-volt jump starters about a year ago but they only work on negative ground, so didn't make much use for me.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 05:23:09 AM »
If you disconnect one of the battery leads, a negative ground battery charger will work on your Kaiser's battery.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »
It can be done but be very careful. As someone else pointed out, make sure you connect neg to neg and pos to pos. Yes, TOUCH the cable directly to the starter and pull it off as soon as the car starts. If you leave it connected too long, it will rip this metal ring inside the starter and then you got nothing.  Not that I've ever had that happen...
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios