Author Topic: Kaiser Frazer pickups  (Read 69939 times)

frankies frazer

• View Profile
Kaiser Frazer pickups
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
Hello,
I'm new at this forum.
Was wondering if anyone on this site knows anything about the three 1947 Kaiser Frazer concept pickups that Madman Muntz had made. There is an article on one of them in Hot Rod Magazine.
Thanks
Bob

frankies frazer

• View Profile
Re: Kaiser Frazer pickups
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
Wow!!!
There must not be much information on this subject.
If anyone knows anything or anybody that can help, please contact me or post what you know.
I have been doing some research on the Kaiser Frazer concept pickup and will post my findings soon.
Thank you

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Earlier I stated that there was some info on these trucks in a Hot Rod magazine.
It was not HOT ROD but "CUSTOM CLASSIC TRUCKS' Oct 2012

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
Hey Jake,
Thanks,
That's a cool picture!
I've been checking (or more like stumbling around) the forum but haven't seen much except that one magazine article.
can you steer me towards some more?
I love the old car/ truck conversions and especially the Kaiser Frazer's that were done to try and get into the pickup market!!

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
The car pictured above is NOT the claimed Madman Muntz car. The "Muntz" car has a separate step-side style bed taken from a pick-up truck and, last I knew, was painted white. I believe it was a 1949 or 1950.  Ray Frazier is the last person I know that owned it. The late Jim Davies of East Point, GA (outside Atlanta) owned it for years and is probably the one that made it. 30 years ago, the late John Parker told me that years before that, he was under the pick-up for some reason and recognized a weld that he had done on that car WHEN IT WAS A CAR!
There was a one page article in Cars & Parts (?) magazine in the 1970's or 1980's that showed several pics of the car, made the claim about Muntz and said that the car had a Pontiac straight eight in it at that time.
According to John Parker, Muntz never had anything to do with this specific vehicle. Muntz was a KF dealer in Los Angeles in the 1940's after WWII and maybe created a Kaiser pick-up for use at the dealership, but this car in question is not it.
On a related note: there was a Ben Walker quarterly years ago with an article by Allen Hogle (jeez, all these guys except Ray are now late. Really sad.) about Muntz and his dealership. He interviewed a then co-worker of mine (Elmer Adams) who was one of Muntz's salesmen at that time.
Sorry I was not able to find a picture of this car. Does anyone have a copy of the article? I think it may have been copied into a quarterly at some point.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »
Aeroman,
Thanks for the great information!
Yes, does any one have a copy or a link to the article aeroman talked about or a picture of the white supposedly muntz truck from GA?
Or any other information about these pickups

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
Another shot of the same car. As Aeroman stated, the Muntz units used a pickup bed rather than just cutting the top off a sedan. I like it none the less.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:52:24 AM by joefrazer »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
Another Kaiser pickup. This is a period picture taken around 1947.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
I've posted it before, but here's another picture of the Henry J my dad converted to a pickup in 1959. Picture was taken in '67. By then it had a Chevy 283 V8 with a four speed in it. Unfortunately, it still had the factory HJ 4:55 rear end so it didn't perform very well.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »
Here is a good article about the 1947 Kaiser Muntz pickup built recently
Its about half way through the article before it's talked about
Good information
http://robbreport.com/automobiles/reinventing-wheel

frankies frazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
As Stated in the article. (Hot Rod news and Custom Classic Trucks magazine also makes the same claim!

"Ken Fenical of "Posies" also recently completed a 1947 Kaiser pickup truck, one of just 3 examples originally built in 1950. “It’s one of just three Kaiser pickups built for Earl ‘Madman’ Muntz,” Fenical explains. Known as the king of California television sales in the ’50s, Muntz also invented the four-track tape recorder, a forerunner to the eight-track. According to Fenical, back in the day these rare pickups were used by Kaiser dealers as promotional vehicles. This is the sole survivor, he says, and you can bet some purists are upset that it’s been extensively modified. But if Fenical is worried about retribution from the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club, he doesn’t show it. - See more at: http://robbreport.com/automobiles/reinventing-wheel#sthash.Z9wcVEQO.dpuf

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »
found the link to the actual 47 Kaiser pickup project of Ken Fenical...

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/customer_statements/kaiser-dash/

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
Couldn't get the link to work.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »
okay then try this link below and if it works scroll down to the pic of the green 1947 Kaiser pickup and click on it....

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/category/shopprojects/

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
i just tried it and it worked for me.