Author Topic: Oil Filter  (Read 8887 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Oil Filter
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
Hi All

Where can I find a Napa 1035 Oil Filter or a replacement

Mark

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:21 AM »
Try wixfiters.com for a cross reference and a dealer near you.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »
The correct web site is wixfilters.com not wixfiters.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »
My NAPA reference materials do not list a NAPA 1035...do the oil lines attach top and bottom (1 each) to a metal canister?  If so this is the same as a type 1/2 (the canister is sealed; the top does not open up) which went out of production at the end of the 1970's.  It will no longer show up on current cross-references, at least the ones I know of.

Jack Mueller

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
WIX 51035 = NAPA 1035 went out of production a number of years ago.  PB 1/2 is the same filter and used on several other cars and once in a while you can find one of these at a swapmeet or on ebay, although on ebay they sometimes go for extremely high $$$....I have seen well over $150 asking price for these but usually they are $40-50 or slightly more.  I tried to check all the current WIX and NAPA filters and never really found anything that looked like it would readily work. The only other choice is to convert to the canister type filter where several NAPA #s will fit inside it.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
Do yourself a favor and purchase a canister style oil filter. 1947-1950 Dodge and Plymouth cars used the same unit as KF so finding one is easy. They attach with a bracket that's the same between makes and if you find the right style, there's even a drain plug so you don't have to remove the unit from the car when changing the oil. They use a NAPA 1080 and they're still available for less than 10 bucks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
So what was the original style offered for KF, the canisters or the expensive sealed units?

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say there must have been an effort to do away with the cartridge type.  They are a  bit of pain having to take the top off, not lose or misalign the gasket, and suck the dirty oil out of the canister. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:38:13 PM »
The canister style was the first oil filter type offered. In about 1953 the throw away unit appeared and either could be added as a dealer installed option thru the end of production. Willys offered a spin on filter, like those used today, in the later 50s, however, the filter mounted threads-down which meant that when removed, any remaining oil in the filter drained...causing a mess. I guess the idea of flipping the filter mount over never dawned on anyone at the factory...

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
All Frazers were factory equipped with oil filters, and as far as I am aware, all but some 1951 models used the replacement element type.  When the 1951 Kaiser went into production the company started to use the 1/2 on the assembly line, and continued to use it through the 1955 model year, HOWEVER.....

Just before announcement day for the 1951 Kaiser, Kaiser-Frazer sent a letter out to dealers about selling Kaiser buyers the replacement element oil filter kit and charging for parts and labor.  The letter states that by the 5th or 6th oil filter change, what the car owner would save on price difference between the 1/2 and the P70-FF replacement element should have covered the cost of the kit and the install. 

There is a further advantage to using the replacement element rather than the 1/2.  To replace the 1/2 you have to disconnect the oil lines.  Over time, you can expect some damage to the threads from repeated off-on activity, plus there is a question of getting a proper seal (under normal conditions, a properly working 226 should run the oil through at around 30 pounds per square inch).

It is up to the individual owner if the car has the 1/2 but consider the cost and possible damage to the oil lines, plus there is factory documentation that a switch over was blessed by the factory.....a point to consider in judging.