Author Topic: 54 Manhattan shift control box  (Read 2165 times)

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan shift control box
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
Does anyone have a drawing or parts list showing what's inside the shift control box on the the lower steering column?  Been looking at mine, and it seems to be quite sloppy....like a bushing or 2 is gone on central shaft.   I don't want to go pulling it apart before knowing what's there.  Didn't find any details in my workshop manual reprint.

Would appreciate a posting of any drawings....pictures...advice....

Thanks.

Bob Lembcke.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 54 Manhattan shift control box
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:16:15 PM »
Stick shift or hydramatic?

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
duh....sorry....

3 spd....stick. 

Bob L.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
If it was like mine, I made a new shaft, and replaced from the shift handle to the shifter mechanism. The hole and slot at the shift handle get worn out and sloppy.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »
See the July 13th post about the '52 kaiser slipping out of first gear.

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
Bob, I've attached picture #1 to show the shift control box on my '52 Kaiser Manhattan.  Is that what you are referring to?

And to everyone:  is that the way the shift control box is supposed to look?  I'm still having trouble getting this car to shift correctly.  My original post is the one boatingbill is referring to that I started on 06/25/2015.  I really appreciate the suggestions you all have given me.  I just haven't had as much time as I would like to spend on the problem, but will in the next few days. 

In the other pictures, the picture #2 is of the transmission rods being even across when the shifting is working properly; picture #3 is showing that the one in front is now higher.   The third picture is how it looks when it's not working right, the rod in the foreground is higher.  When it looks like the third picture, there is no neutral and (I believe) the only gear that is operable is first-gear.

So, should those rods be adjusted using those nuts on each rod to alleviate the shifting problem?  If so, which way should they go?  Still trying to figure this out ...
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »
Thanks for pictures.  First one shows the area of my interest.... With the grease, hard to see how the 2 parts are connected in middle, if at all,  but shows the bushings at top and bottom of the "box", that I suspect are loose on mine.  Would think: Got  to be some type of support beyond just the top and bottom bushes.. for output arms...  Housing may be worn out.

While I had the column (top end) apart, I tightened up the fits on the top shifter to rod (hole was still round, but pin/bolt was worn), and made/added a flat rubber washer on ball to make it less "floppy" (put under the round "nut" that holds shifter on column and outside of ball)....thought perhaps it was dropping out of gear from sheer gravity, acting on the heavy shifter handle when in 2nd...can't say that was issue or not, but is tighter than it was...

If you take either of the two output arms (flat bars) on mine and "wiggle" there is what I'd consider excessive slop.  Appears that the bushes in first picture are worn, perhaps in the housing.  Car shifts, sort of Ok, but has been dropping out of 2nd at light load/coast, and got it stuck in 3rd for first time the other day (speed shift, hard......came out at home with help wiggling shifter while I did same at control box...noted excessive play....BoatingBill may have me pegged, or my arms need peening/pegging?).  My experience with other gearboxes, is these faults are indicative of internal issues, like worn synchro, and excessive axial clearances in stack up on 3rd motion shaft.  (Don't want to accept a teardown just to look, and for now is driveable.....so holding off on that.)

You asked about the rods and adjustments.  All I can contribute is what my manual said... Put in neutral, loosen the jam nuts, and put the factory "gauge" on (hole in top), then adjust nuts to match.   I'd say the intent, is to get the two halfs "even", or flat, on top of joints in the box, not the outside arms, when in neutral, then with change rods in middle of travels in box, match them up to the control box's neutral... can't say if both output arms would "look" level on outside, perhaps so, but issue is to get the "timing" set off the middle point of travel inside the control box.  Others, may have more  to add.

So, .......

Maybe not much help on your issues, but would like to know even more about what's going on inside the control box on  mine... and if tightening up the action between the two arms is worth chasing...

Again, Thanks for the photo... don't see anything that will come bounding out so, may open it up now it's been filled up with more grease.....  geeze I hate getting that stuff all over...!

Bob L.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:09:50 PM by Bob L. »

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »
In picture 1 where the arms attach to the shaft in the box, make sure the arms are not loose on the shaft, This is where I had to
use a punch to tighten the bushing in the arms. If you hold the arms one at a time, try to move the shaft to make sure the
bushing is not worn and slipping.