Author Topic: Discs on a Dana41  (Read 1682 times)

IowaTom

Discs on a Dana41
« on: September 06, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »
Guys - I bought a disc brake upgrade package from a gent in Brush Prairie, WA and it came with hub-less rotors that have a huge opening for the hub to be pressed into.  I have emailed him on this and I don't think he understands my dilemma.

I will need to either trade these rotors in for a pair that will accommodate the tapered axle of the Dana or find hubs that are big enough to fit.

Somehow I will figure this out, but am open to all suggestions.  Thanks!

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Discs on a Dana41
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
Tom, clearly the guy who supplied your kit is not familiar with K-F rear axles..... :(

You may end up re-engineering the whole thing. Will he refund your money?

Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »
I doubt it, Paul, but I might re-engineer his original idea, beginning with different rotors!

IowaTom

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
The guy at NAPA was kind enough to take the rotors sent to me in trade for the right ones for the Manhattan, I think.
Spent a few hours cutting the rivet heads off the rear drums and pounding them out to maybe re-use the hubs.  I want front and rear to be 5 X 4.5 as it should be.
Stay tuned!

IowaTom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Update... I was able to cut off the rivets (UGH!) and use the Kaiser hubs.

Then, with the right rotors and after drilling a few holes, it came together!  I don't recommend this guy's kit.  His answers to my questions were from Mars and I had to figure things out on my own.  Had a machine shop cut two plates I put over the shims to keep dirt out of the axle bearings.

Today, a pair of wheels arrived from Speedway in Lincoln as a test fit (4" backspacing) and they fit perfectly.

Wife says I should paint them to match the roof color, which I plan to do.  There are some 'moon' caps to go on afterward.
Now to get tires.  Closer to a rolling frame again, to eventually replant under the car.  Thanks for looking!

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
Looks good Tom. Couple of questions. Do those rotors register tight on the center on the rear hubs or are they loose? The drums I think were tight on that raised center of the hub. What are your plans for an emergency brake, or do those calipers have the emergency brake arm and adjustable piston for the E-brake?

IowaTom

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:54:27 AM »
Yes, the rotors are tight on the hubs.  In fact, I had to dremel off a little of the beveled center holes, so the hub would snug thru.
On these, I have no e-brake.  I don't like that, but hoping the double system m/c might make up the safety difference.  I plan to use a T-5 Borg Warner five speed, so will be able to leave it in first gear and pray I never park on a hill.  :-)
Jake, the wheels were around $77 and $14 more for the moon caps.

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
wow SWEET i LIKE IT...
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...