Author Topic: Anybody out there  (Read 3826 times)

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anybody out there
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
Have all us old AERO guys died or are all our cars working perfectly.  No postings in almost 3 weeks.  Looking forward to getting Sweet Willy out of winter storage and going for a run when I get home in 3 weeks.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: Anybody out there
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
A lot of folks go to the Willys Aero Facebook page. I check out both.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
Stop in here every day and I also check out the FB page. Not a lot going on there recently either, I think it's just a general lull.

As for me, still slowly plugging along trying to get my Aero back in one piece, started floor padding today.

Really searching high & low for a tinted rear glass and so far haven't found one. A quote came in today from a glass manufacturer for a "one off"......... $2,100.

$1550 for tooling the buck alone & $375 for setup & bending one piece. I'd pay well for a tinted rear but the tooling's a bit steep for me to absorb into one glass.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
Ah come on Mark... think of it...
You'll be famous, and have bragging rights for the rest of your life,
and the sales you can make heck even i'll buy one...

That wasn't an offer for you or anyone else to "buy in", just sharing current info. I doubt I'd ever try to organize a "group buy" here after seeing how badly you treated another member for presenting an opportunity to the members. No doubt even after posting costs I'd be accused of profiteering. Going back and deleting all your negative posts doesn't change what you said.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
I try to avoid Facebook.  Is there a way to view the Willys Aero Facebook page without joining Facebook?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »
As far as I know you have to join and use an email address.

Facebook (in my opinion) is Orwellian in the way it gathers info about you and any & everyone even remotely connected to you. Start up a new email at hotmail, outlook or any number of free email providers (not gmail, ie google, almost as bad as fb) and use that address for any one of the FB members to invite you. I did that and used my car model for first & last FB names.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
What is the reason why the Willys people are using FB instead of this Forum?

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:11:10 PM »
I would say the reason people are using the FB page is that all of them use FB and are already there.It is easier to post pictures...and because they follow it on FB...response is much faster.Many of us still refer people to this page for info.....I look at both.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:58:17 PM »
Facebook?  Can you do it with a flip phone>
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
What is the reason why the Willys people are using FB instead of this Forum?

I don't think the core Aero FB group is from here. I get the impression that most of the members in the FB Aero group aren't KFOIC members, and surprisingly to me, a substantial number are from Brazil. Could be in a web search that KFOIC just isn't registering for the average Aero owner searching the net. There's nothing in the club name or even on the home page to suggest any connection.

There's also a FB group for KF owners, don't know anything about it other than it pops up in a search. https://www.facebook.com/Kaiser-Frazer-Owners-Club-International-652160528140828/
Also, another Willys forum that includes Aero, http://oldwillysforum.com/forum/

.................................................Many of us still refer people to this page for info.....I look at both.

Ditto

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
Facebook?  Can you do it with a flip phone>

I still use a flip and could do it, but it would be a pain in the a** compared to a computer.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
MarkH - Sorry I have not replied about the rear glass that I have. I know I have two or three small rear windows, just don't know if they are tinted. Sooner or later, I will get into storage and find out if any are tinted.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »
Much appreciated. Found a couple other options in the last few days. One specialty custom & rod glass shop says with my back glass in hand, they can cut one out of a windshield they physically match to for $800, plus shipping both ways.

Another custom shop can duplicate mine in scratch resistant acrylic for about the same, ditto on the 2 way shipping. Both West coast, me midwest.

Those are the best numbers so far, so if I found one with shipping one way, that leave's me a lot of room to gladly pay a premium price.

Right now I'm on the upholstery guys work list for a headliner, after that I can put glass in.

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Much appreciated. Found a couple other options in the last few days. One specialty custom & rod glass shop says with my back glass in hand, they can cut one out of a windshield they physically match to for $800, plus shipping both ways.

This is interesting.  So they would in theory find a windshield from another model that closely overlays the shape of the Aero rear glass, then cut it to fit?  That price must have some cushion in it for breakage and re-tries. 

I am considering trying to find someone to manufacture some Aero windshields (2 piece and/or 1 piece). It seems there is a need for them well beyond my own.  Without the availability of curved glass these cars are on the fast road to extinction.
Member# 16191

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »

This is interesting.  So they would in theory find a windshield from another model that closely overlays the shape of the Aero rear glass, then cut it to fit?  That price must have some cushion in it for breakage and re-tries. 

I am considering trying to find someone to manufacture some Aero windshields (2 piece and/or 1 piece). It seems there is a need for them well beyond my own.  Without the availability of curved glass these cars are on the fast road to extinction.

Well, he WAS at $800, asked for photos, today he came back at 13 to 15 hundred. Found one manufacturer that will tool up for $550 but his glass & bending costs brings it to $1600. Compared now to cutting one off, not bad for new, multiples won't drop price significantly.

There's a couple windshield sellers, one won't respond to inquiries, the other is currently listing them online & ebay and claims to have 10 clear in stock. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-1954-1955-WILLYS-HARDTOP-SEDAN-WINDSHIELD-VINTAGE-NEW-CLASSIC-AUTO-GLASS-/232323940784?fits=Make%3AWillys&hash=item36179601b0:g:TIAAAOSwlndZDBFf&vxp=mtr

A few years there was a run of tinted & clear. Tinted seems to have sold out a while back although the non responsive seller is currently listing both.