Author Topic: JUDGING STANDARDS  (Read 2929 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
JUDGING STANDARDS
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
I suggest that this Forum has a new tab--JUDGING STANDARDS...that posts the detailed standards for each model.

That way everyone is on the same page for "correctness"

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JUDGING STANDARDS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
Yes, that would be very useful since factory build standards I've seen are scattered in various threads that would require searching out. Publicly posted standards would also eliminate judging ambiguities.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

morgan6344

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
Agree whole heartedly! Thanks

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
Yes, Good Idea. I know some have changed ? We need to keep as Original as Possible. But Safety add ons OK. But have a Good Standard as Well so on the Same Page.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
The club has not had detailed judging standards.
Without detail, judging consistency cannot be attained.

40 years ago this was complained about in the Darrin Newslettters, with examples of 20 point differences in the same cars without anything be done to them.

Char Dayton worked tirelessly on the Darrin standards but many have not seen them.  I provided them in my past Newsletter but new owners come about frequently.

Need to make "stuff" public.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »
As I’ve said repeatedly, put proprietary information such as judging standards in the members only section on the club’s website.

Terry T

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
Char has Darrin Standards but they were not used at the most recent National.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
One of the problems that exist with Darrin judging seems to be the number of running changes made to the cars during their production run...…………………..

This will also need to be addressed for the Aero. During my restoration, and forum discussions, a number of changes documented and not have turned up. Just the discussion on underbody paint versus primer AND colors turned up quite a variety of differences, every one likely factory original. Subjects like that would need a very general standard, maybe coated versus not coated. Decisions would also need to be agreed on just how far to go judging details, even bolt head stampings changed from the early to late model Aero.

My impression of my (originally low mileage) leftover '53/'54 Lark is that they grabbed whatever was in reach when it went down the line. I think it's part Falcon, Lark, 675 and 685...……….. how the heck do you judge that?

At a certain point, separating a reasonably achievable list of judging standards from the list of the variety of factory build standards would likely keep it more enjoyable.

Keeping this list as members only would be a good idea too.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
The best way to judge is to either find a Willys Motors Document identifying the transition 53/54 type Aeros and what parts would go into them (such as the parts book listings)  or look at a number of surviving cars and see what "common threads" run through them and what owners say about things that vary between cars.  From that, a concensus can be drawn as to what "odd" or "unusual" things can be identified.

It's too bad that a lot of that stuff got lost at the factory level between 1970 and 1987.

hj-etx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »
Actually most people who bring their cars to be judged don't have much knowledge of what the judges are looking for. Perhaps invite or even REQUIRE people with cars to be judged to sit in with the regular judges instructional meeting?
My years of judging instructed me on what to look for in a car.
I remember more than 1 occasion when when a person showed up with a car on a trailer and said, "Hurry up and judge it. I have to be somewhere."

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
I think first timers should be able to go through judging with the Judge.  Then everything correct and wrong could be explained.  I can remember one of the first times I got judged, a knowledgeable member came over and explained a lot of wrong things to me.  That helped me tremendously in the future.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
Any member has been invited in the past to the Judges Meeting before judging takes place.   The evaluation sheet showing strengths and weaknesses on a particular makes gives owners what is good and needs improvement on their cars.  I have REPEATEDLY stressed the importance of having a "Book" about your car with copies of various factory materials to support correctness for the vehicle.  Judges are only human and sometimes need some help to resolve questions.  It is up to the owner to provide such information and things like "the person who sold me the car said it was all original" is by itself worthless information.  I know as over the years I have been involved in working out issues after judging.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:02:54 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Bvanhook

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
I have a question. I'm on my way to restore a 1948 frazer, now doing research it's only a 485 but alot of the features are Manhattan.  Is it possible that the original owner ordered a custom version of the frazer from the factory?

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
In the end of the 1948 production Kaiser found that they had a lot of Manhattan and Kaiser Custom upholstery left over and used much of it during production of the regular Kaisers and Frazers.  What does it say about the upholstery in your car on the firewall tag that lists all of the options on your car.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
In June of 1948, a memo went out to Kaiser-Frazer dealers about a "modification" made to the interiors of 1948 K481 Specials.  The document dated June 8th said that approximately 14,000 model K481 Kaiser Specials were produced with the door trim panels and floor carpets of the K482 Kaiser Custom.  The colors on the panels and carpets were either Blue Gray, Green Heather or Rose Heather.  As there were mo upholstery books in dealer or distributor hands back then, no official factory samples are known to exist.  On the door panels, carpet was used for the kick pad at the bottom of the panel.  There was no price difference between the regular K481 interior items but the dealers needed to record serial numbers or body numbers of any from the batch they sold for future reference if replacements are needed at some future point.

I know of no similar memo relative to use of Manhattan surplus itemns on regular Frazers in the 1948 model year.