Author Topic: Brake shoe adjustment  (Read 664 times)

Kato

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake shoe adjustment
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
Hi.  I have recently acquired a '53 Manhattan and am working on it.  One issue I'm having, thus far, is adjusting the shoes.  I can see that they're moved by a post that is turned by a stud coming out of the backing plate which fits a 1/4" wrench, and I can see that by turning the stud the post would move toward the inside or outside of the wheel, bringing the shoe with it, much like a similar-year Studebaker.  My problem is that, thus far, none of my studs want to turn, and I'm afraid of stripping or breaking them if I start cranking on them with my little 1/4" wrench -- clearly, they aren't supposed to require that much effort or they would have made the stud larger.  I'm wondering a couple of things here: 1) do they only turn in one direction, and if so, which way should I be trying to turn them?  2) Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how did they overcome it?  I figured I'd better ask before I broke something, and hope someone has some guidance for me on this.

Thanks!
'53 Kaiser Manhattan
'52 Nash Ambassador
'51 Hudson Pacemaker
'77 Toyota Celica GT

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Brake shoe adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:24:18 PM »
The large nut surrounding the stud needs loosened before the stud will turn. Use a 9/16 wrench. If it won’t move, most are usually stuck, some heat from a propane torch will help. Just don’t melt the rubber brake hose!

Kato

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake shoe adjustment
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
Well, that's embarrassing!  I absolutely failed to recognize that as a lock nut, despite wondering how the posts were secured from backing themselves off!  Thanks a bunch for the tip, that should do me a world of good!

'53 Kaiser Manhattan
'52 Nash Ambassador
'51 Hudson Pacemaker
'77 Toyota Celica GT