Author Topic: Inherited Dad's 54 Early Special -- Need help  (Read 2862 times)

dadskaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Inherited Dad's 54 Early Special -- Need help
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Looking for some good mechanical help in the Jackson, MI area.

Dad was a mechanic and worked in the experimental garage at Kaiser. He did all the work on the Kaiser in the time he had it.
Tried to get as much info from him about the car and what parts/pieces he had in the garage before he died.
Unfortunately not enough for me to care for the car. I'll do minor stuff myself but won't tackle/have know how for much more.

It sat for quite a while with Stabil in full gas tank, relatively fresh oil and so-so battery.
I replaced the battery and bought new plugs. Don't know propper gap or have tools.
Does not seem to be getting fuel. New battery/old plugs, and it would crank but not turn over. Couldn't smell gas like it was flooded.

Need help for next steps to take and someone to do the work so it's done correctly.
This car means a lot to me and I want it right.

Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Inherited Dad's 54 Early Special -- Need help
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
There are a few things that you can do yourself to try to get the car to start.

1. Make sure that the oil level in the engine is full.
2. Have a good battery (sounds like you've done this)
3. Install new spark plugs. Generally speaking, most plugs are 'generically' gapped and would be close enough to allow a Kaiser engine to at least start. Champion J8C plugs would fit the bill.
4. Buy yourself a can of Gumout carburetor cleaner. It's in an aerosol can and will accomplish two things for you...it'll clean the carb throat when sprayed in and it will act as a starting fluid. Don't use ether as a backfire can cause a blown piston. I have seen it happen and have the exploded piston to prove it.

Spray about a 2 second burst of the Gumout into the carb throat and then try to start the engine. If it doesn't fire, pull off the #1 (first) spark plug wire, insert a spare spark plug into the end and lay it on the top of the engine. Try again to start the engine and observe if there is a spark at the gap end of the plug. If so, your electrics are OK. If not, the ignition system will need attention.

I sure hope you find someone to help get the car back on the road!

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Spark plug gap is 0.30" Look down the carb opening and move the accelerator rod, you should see fuel squirt out of the nozzles. If not then there might not be fuel in the carb, or the fuel carb pump is bad. In that case put about 2 table spoons of gas down the carb opening and see if it will start. There are a lot of guys on this sight that are willing to help but can't be at the car. Give a good discription of the problem or symptom and you will get an answer.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:14:38 AM »
Just curious, given the history of the car...what are the numbers showing at the various headers on the body tag.  A lot of 1954 Early Special looking Kaisers owned by factory people are not what they seem.  I know, My father had one when he was alive, and I have seen pictures and info on a couple others.

dadskaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:10:34 AM »
Just curious, given the history of the car...what are the numbers showing at the various headers on the body tag.  A lot of 1954 Early Special looking Kaisers owned by factory people are not what they seem.  I know, My father had one when he was alive, and I have seen pictures and info on a couple others.

He purchased this car about 5yrs ago. It was originally sold in Florida. He always wished he had his original Kaiser but it went to rust on the family farm in the UP.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:43:38 AM »
The reason why I asked is that during the last months of activity at Willow Run, a number of employees purchased used company cars from the By-Products Store (the surplus parts, cars and equipment store for employees or "friends of the company).  Some of the cars were test cars for one project or another and many were "upgraded" with 1954 Kaiser front sheet metal and tail lights; a few even got superchargers factory installed. 

Experimental Engineering had its own separate building and was the last part of Kaiser-Frazer (aka Kaiser Motors) to move out.  Operations continued there well into spring 1954.  One of the cars sold to someone in that area was a 1953 Show Dragon (like Jerry Johnson has) which got the 1954 upgrade.  Another upgraded car sold out of By-Products was the 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-dr Traveler built for auto show use.  Both these cars have the hand-formed front fenders (production fenders were pre-punched for fender script mounting pegs...the fenders on these cars were punched for the specialized Dragon or Traveler script; pegs do not match locations for 1954 script).

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
Where in the UP was your farm ? I'm in Brimley
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

dadskaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
Dad was born in Munising and raised in Trenary. God's country!!!!

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
I couldn't agree more !! and there is at least one Kaiser still on the road  :)
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman