Author Topic: AERO WILLYS CONVERTIBLE PROTOTYPE on CAR'S TV  (Read 533 times)

glennstin

• Whomever Dies with the Most AL-TOY Jeeps Wins
    • View Profile
    • Email
AERO WILLYS CONVERTIBLE PROTOTYPE on CAR'S TV
« on: October 04, 2021, 02:55:21 AM »
Sunday morning roaming around and found a show called "CAR'S TV".  There she is living the life in a little known museum in Long Beach, CA called "The Lion's Drag Strip Museum".  In just a short portion of the show Rick Lorensen (sp?) describes the baby blue Aero Convertible as the prototype found in Passadenia.  If this is the same car I wrote about for the old defunct WILLYS CLUB about 1990, she sure has come a long way.  In those days she resided in an old Willys Security Guard hoard south of Toledo.  My buddy, an old Willys Emloyee, photographed the remains parked in a back corner and in horrible conditon.  He remembered the car when new running around Toledo probably driven by company exectutives.  I think it started out as a 1953 Eagle Hardtop and was customized by an outside firm.  As it appeared in my pics the grille was changed to the '55 version and that is how it exists today.  Along the 40+ years since I wrote that article, some serious money has been spent to bring her back.  Others must know some history to add here.  Let's hear it!!
'55  Custom, Plus a Kansas Parts Car , '59 CJ3B, '50 Jeepster, AL-TOY Jeep Models, Willys Lit. , DJ3A Goodies, Willys History, Willys Special Equipment

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: AERO WILLYS CONVERTIBLE PROTOTYPE on CAR'S TV
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 06:52:06 AM »
Recorded but haven't watched this show yet. I will look for the Willys now. Unfortunately the museum opened after I left LA. Lorenzen is the spelling.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: AERO WILLYS CONVERTIBLE PROTOTYPE on CAR'S TV
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »
Here is a link to the CARS.TV episode on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsPnC02RwoU

The Willys convertible appears twice, once near the beginning (around 2 min 13 seconds) and again for a longer period around 3 min 50 seconds.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com