Author Topic: rear axle retainer  (Read 581 times)

ghausgen

• Jeepboyone
    • View Profile
    • Email
rear axle retainer
« on: February 09, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ... THE PART LISTED AS A RETAINER ON THE REAR AXLE (THICK PLATE ABOUT 3/16" THICK AND DIAMETER OF THE SHIMS AND GASKETS) GO AFTER THE SHIMS OR NEXT INSIDE AFTER  THE BRAKE PLATE ...
THNAKS...
Darrin 415

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: rear axle retainer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 07:17:20 PM »
The order would be: the inner oil seal, then the axle shaft and bearing with the bearing cup in the axle housing tube. Then the shims go in place, next a gasket, then the retainer in question, then another gasket. The brake backing plate is next, and then the outer oil seal. The retainer holds the axle and bearing in place. Only one side has shims. The shims are for axle shaft end play. The retainer is to hold the shims in place as well as the  bearing cup in the housing. Hope this helps. The rear axle assembly is a standard Dana/Spicer unit. Check your service manual or parts manual for a diagram of pieces in order. The service diagram shows the shims on the right side. Other vehicles show the left side.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:19:28 PM by DTort96646 »

ghausgen

• Jeepboyone
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: rear axle retainer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 07:49:19 AM »
Your answer is perfect...I did not  take close notes when I dissembled the rear axle...since i thought i had diagrams to show me how to reassemble.  The HJ shop manual and the 51 Kaiser shop manual has the retainer  inside on the brake shoe side..in written verbage.  As far as the shims go per the HJ manual ...and maybe on  the Darrin too...the left axle housing on later 52's and after is .060 longer...no shims needed on that side unless an adjustment is needed once both sides are together... On the right side shim as needed to get the .001 to .006 end play.
Thanks...
Darrin 415