Author Topic: Solved the vapor lock issue, '51 KD  (Read 397 times)

Northwoods1

• View Profile
Solved the vapor lock issue, '51 KD
« on: August 29, 2023, 11:12:25 PM »
This '51 is completely stock with the exception maintenance items.  Kept vapor locking on me for drives that were only 20+ minutes. I took a propane torch to the coiled spring for the heat riser, got it cherry hot, and no action.  Tied up the lever with some wire to keep it in the cooling position (it's default position is to heat it up), problem solved.  I can drive this unit everywhere and not have to worry about vapor lock.  Hope this helps.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Solved the vapor lock issue, '51 KD
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 12:11:07 AM »
Solved the vapor lock issue on my 51 Deluxe by adding an electric fuel pump.  Another possible solution is to rerun the fuel line so it does not pass through the manifold.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 07:55:54 AM »
The fuel line should not pass thru the manifold. It should route between the manifold and the radiator. If yours ran thru the manifold then someone changed the line. Running thru the manifold guarantees vapor lock!

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 12:26:50 AM »
It's possible it's running between the manifold and the radiator...but the last time I took a good look at it, it appeared it was running up between the connections of the intake and exhaust manifolds.  It's also possible it could have been rerouted when the vehicle was redone in the early 80s, long before I got it, though I don't know why anyone would reroute it that way, unless they were idjits...

If I were to have it rerouted, I would take it up across the firewall, around and then into the carb.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rdgodwin1954@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 08:39:31 AM »
Great that you solved the problem. Vapor lock or a factor causing fuel starving is wonderful to correct!