Author Topic: Seeking part: needing 1953 Willys Aero Eagle overdrive relay switch  (Read 1976 times)

JBboomer1950

• View Profile
    • Email
I am looking for the overdrive relay switch that attaches to the firewall in engine bay. When the original failed on my car I ordered the relay switch from 'Kaiser Willys Auto Supply'. The one Mike sent me (looked identical to the original)  must have been for a '53 Jeepster or truck or something because when I installed it as directed it didn't function as intended. Can the old relay switch be rebuilt? Any good sources for new one for the '53 Willys Aero Eagle? Thx in advance for any and all help.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
is this the one

joefrazer

• View Profile
Looking at the KW website, the OD relay pictured won't work properly with your system. You need the one pictured in Terry's reply which should resemble what was on your car. About rebuilding, the top of yours can be removed and will reveal a set of what looks like points. Typically, they get scored from years of use and stop making clean enough contact to work properly. The contacts can be cleaned with light sandpaper, I use 400 grit wet or dry (dry) to dress them. It's worth a try.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
I believe the one for Willys has terminals on it - not a plug.  Compare this pic with one Terry posted and see if that's true.  Either way, as Joe points out you can remove the cover and look at the contacts and see if they are tarnished.  There should be 4 terminals on it marked  IG,  TH,  BAT and SOL.  If you put 6 volts (actually a 9 volt radio battery will work if you don't hold it on very long) to the IG and TH terminals it should pull the contacts together.  Make sure the fuse connections are clean and untarnished.  The brass fuse socket ends often tarnish and don't allow current to pass - scrape them good and clean so they shine and if you put voltage to the IG and TH terminals (polarity doesn't matter) the contacts should pull together.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 05:19:33 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
I forgot to mention, if the one in your car does have the plug, as the one in the picture Terry posted, it's easy to test if the contacts pull in.  Use a 9 volt radio battery and touch across the terminals has shown.  It should click.  If it doesn't the coil is open.  If it does and the relay still doesn't work, then check the contacts as Joe pointed out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 01:22:49 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
All Borg Warner R-10 and R-11 overdrives work the same.  Some car mfgrs. wired theirs a bit differently.  If you can't fix yours you can use more common Ford parts.  A good Borg Warner wiring diagram is on Garage Tech With Andy Rundle site.  Be aware that overdrive electrical parts are made of precious metals and priced as such.  Tom.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
All Borg Warner R-10 and R-11 overdrives work the same.  Some car mfgrs. wired theirs a bit differently.  If you can't fix yours you can use more common Ford parts.  A good Borg Warner wiring diagram is on Garage Tech With Andy Rundle site.  Be aware that overdrive electrical parts are made of precious metals and priced as such.  Tom.
Another option would be a Studebaker overdrive relay which may be more readily available. The Stude relays look like the picture that Fid posted, as far as the terminals. Be cautioned that Stude relays were made in both 6volt and 12volt versions. Up thru 1955 will be 6volt; 1956 and up will be 12volt.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com