Author Topic: Project Jeepster Wanted  (Read 9240 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Project Jeepster Wanted
« on: September 09, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
Don't laugh, but I am looking for a really inexpensive project Jeepster for under $1200 (or thereabouts).  I would prefer something within an adjacent state (I am in central IL), but would travel for the right bargain.  I have always loved Jeeps and lets just say that my CJ isn't big enough for the family. 

Lisa P

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Project Jeepster Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
There are a couple of things to look out for:

1.  Give the frame on a project vehicle a good going over.  The Jeepster frame is based on the prewar Willys Americar chassis and there are several points where wet crud collects over the years and rots the rails.  It can be fixed but it's slow work.

2.  THE JEEPSTER MAN is a good source for jeepster-specific parts or at least has been in the past.

3.  It will leak in the rain and will freeze you in the winter.  This reflects design limitations according to Brooks Stevens.  Mr. Stevens was a friend of my mother; he and I talked at length about the work he did for Willys-Overland.

Can you make the 2010 Fall Meet at Middleburg Heights (Cleveland OH suburb) next weekend (16-18)?  I'm going to pull out as much old factory material (K-F and Willys) that I can load into the truck for people to romp through in the Hospitality Room.

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I will definitely look for frame rot as the CJ I have has the same problem and I am still waiting for someone to help me fix that.  Since it has been several years, I may have to buy a welder and take a class.  I was wondering about parts and availability for the Jeepsters since there weren't that many made.  It is good to know that there may still be support out there.  As for having the chance to talk to Brooks Stevens, wow!  How great that must have been...I can only imagine.  I have always, always admired the Jeepsters and I am truly hoping to find one before it is taken to the salvage yard.  I am prepared for the rain and the cold, my CJ has already conditioned me for that. 

I unfortunately will not be able to attend the Fall Meet, in fact, I will be traveling through the area the following weekend to visit my parents in NY (near Binghamton).  I am planning on attending the Sublette, IL show w/o the Special, will anyone be there?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
I own 51 Willys Jeepster made and let me tell you...everything mentioned about Jeepster is absolutely true! They leak in places one would never expect, frames collect crud in unimagineable areas, engines conk out for no reason and the simple electrical systems in them are not so simple.

Still, they are very unique, are a treat to drive and always turn heads. My car was a barn find that needed a few things here and there but does run and drive. If I have the new tires on it by next weekend and a trailer to haul it with, I will bring it to the Midwest meet in Cleveland.

Here's a picture -> http://kaiserfrazercars.com/Jpstern53a.JPG

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »
That is a great looking Jeepster!  Let me ask you this, as I have three little girls that are currently in safety seats, is there any way they will all fit in the back seat?  I would have to install seat belts, correct?  Other than the frame, electrical and the leaks, is there anything else I should be wary of?  How about driveline and suspension parts, are those easy to obtain?  Thanks again for the responses, lets hope I find one somewhere!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
I'd rather see little ones in a Kaiser...but if you want a Jeepster then yes, you'll need to install seat belts.

If you're serious about looking for a Jeepster, here are a few things to look for:

1. Buy a 4 cylinder car. The sixes are only marginally more powerful but parts for them are very hard to come by and aren't cheap. By comparison, you can buy most everything for the 4 cylinder car at NAPA.
2. Where the frame kicks up by the rear wheels, check to make sure that it's not rusty. many are and they are not a cheap fix.
3. Buy the best car you can for your money. A car that needs alot of mechanical work can drain a wallet in a hurry!
4. Stay away from modified cars unless you know the seller. Many now have V8's in them but lack better brakes and steering to handle the increased weight and power.
5. If you buy a Jeepster, purchase parts from a reputable seller. As mentioned in another post, Jeepsterman in New Jersey has been around for a long time and is one of the best. In addition, walcks4wd.com and kaiserwillys.com also offer good parts. We also have excellent vendors in our club too. Be careful of cheap foreign stuff...you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
What is your schedule for the RETURN trip?  Barbara and I (Bulletin Editor & Club Historian) live just a couple blocks off I-90 on the west side of the Cleveland area (we are also not far from I-71).  Also, the rain date for the Orphan Car Show (they were literally flooded out of the park last June) is Sunday the 26th;  Ypsilanti is about 2.5 hours from our place.

How does this mesh with travel plans????

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
Great tips everyone, I really appreciate your advice. 

JoeFrazer-as for little ones, are the Jeepsters inherently unsafe (like a CJ-5 is tippy)?  I would never want to put my girls in danger.

As for my return trip, you're going to love this.  I have to drive my parents from central NY to central IL on the 23rd or 24th as they want to come visit but won't drive themselves.  I will be returning them to NY sometime the following weekend, probably Oct. 1st.  And although abducting them and driving up to Ypsilanti is a thought, I bet I'm the only one that would enjoy that trip (6.5 hrs).  On the return from NY to IL, I have not made firm plans...I would love to meet fellow Jeepster and Kaiser enthusiasts though!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 05:17:09 AM »
Blanche Mericle hosts the Seaway Region meet at Port Clinton, OH on the first SUNDAY in October, in town at the Knights of Columbus hall.  SATURDAY evening she has a get together at a motel in Port Clinton.  Port Clinton is roughly 2/3 of the way between Cleveland and Toledo, a few miles north of I-80/90.  If you are in the Cleveland area on I-90, you can take Ohio State Highway 2 at the 90/2 split just before 90 joins up with I-80.  Highway 2 is a 4 lane, expressway road from the split to just past Port Clinton and actually runs around the south edge of the city.

Barbara and I expect to be there, and I know there should be at least a couple parts vendors.  Will there be Jeepsters, not sure...will there be Kaiser owners, definitely!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:18:40 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »
Lisa- look at ebay 300466516695
I'ts a Jeepster Comando.
The seller also has another Jeep listed
Both are starting a 99.00

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
Ah...I think the earlier iteration of a Jeepster was the one wanted. the Willys Jeepster, not the Kaiser Jeepster.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
Well, I tried...    :D

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
to quote some comedian "....not that there is anything wrong with that."

Actually, I like my old school 88 Jeep Wagoneer (Cherokee type) Limited with the 4.0, power everything, leather seats and even the green shag-like carpet, and if I wanted another Jeep (not another Comanche--BTDT--the powertrain choices stink especially the gruesomely awful GM V6 and the putrid and fragile 5speed) I'd have to go for a Jeepster Commando like the Ebay ad, or a say +/- 55 Willys 4x4 pickup with a 226, or one of the honking big Kaiser or AMC V8 (Grand) Wagoneers with the 327 or similar from the 60s-to-70s
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
Thanks for trying guys!  Jim you are right, I am looking for one of the earlier style Jeepsters but the later Commandos are pretty cool as well.  What I am trying to accomplish, is to get an early Jeep or Willys (even a wagon would do) that is big enough to take 5 passengers in.  I currently have a CJ-5 with the indestructible 258 straight 6 but it won't comfortably fit more than 3.  I do have a weakness for the Grand Wagoneers as well but was looking at the Jeepster as it is older, a convertible, and hopefully a bit better on gas than say something with a 327...the hunt is still on  :)

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
The badges on the side of the hood on my 1968 Kaiser Jeep say Jeepster Commando. Car companies started to be REAL sloppy in applying model names beginning in the mid 1960's. Ford was especially bad in the use of "Cobra." Well, the Kaiser vehicle in question was called a number of different names including C101 (for the wheelbase). I can think of a number of ways I like it better than the 48-51 Willys Jeepster, but the main reasons why the 67-72 Kaiser/AMC Jeepster Commando can NOT be compared to the Willys Jeepster are 1) the majority the 67-72 vehicles had a hardtop - either half or full - while all the 48-51 cars were phaetons (front & rear seats with a foldable fabric top) and 2) ALL the 67-72 cars were 4WD while NONE 48-51 cars were 4WD.  There is about 6 to 8 inches difference in ride height as a result.  
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170