Author Topic: Under hood standards  (Read 42316 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Under hood standards
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »
Why not each of us put together something similar to what "Joe Frazer" did in an earlier entry to this thread, but for the cars that we are knowledgeable about.

A number of us did exactly that a couple of years ago - it went nowhere. I don't recall why it went nowhere but I do know it wasn't the first attempt either. Personally, I've given up on it. I've learned more on these forum boards than anywhere else.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
Wow...I'm glad to see that my entry is eliciting such a strong response! What I'm planning to do is devote a web page (not just an entry here) that will detail, by year and model the under hood standards that will include photographs of the various components. I may extend that to chassis standards too if there's enough desire from everyone. This way, we'll have something that everyone can use. You'll have the description along with a photo of the item so you'll know what you're looking at and what it's supposed to look like!

As for using the information as a "judging standard", that will be up to the user.

Now to get back to filling in some of the blanks on my other posts!

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Joe Frazer, thanks for putting something in writing that we can all go by.  This information for members would make it worth joining the club.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
Everyone seems to say they have spent time on this project but this is the first time I have seen it on here where we can actually use the information.  The work is a waste of time if you don't let other members use it.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
There are a small (relatively speaking) number of long-time club members who stand to take a drop in point totals (which would be enough to eliminate them from best in show, judges choice, and perhaps even GOLD awards) who don't want written standards, along with a history of Chief Judges who believed that they were the only source of knowledge but of course, would never put anything down on paper for the membership.

Because my schedule is tied into shut-down and model year changeover periods for (originally) Ford and now GM, Barbara and I cannot just drop everything and go to National Conventions; a Chief Judge should be required to make Nationals. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
For those who want Darrin specific information, here you go...

By the way, several additions have been made to my two large posts.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
I think the whole idea of the standards is great. The more information we have the better. I'll bet plenty of members want this. I hope this whole thing eventually gets on disc or printed up and distributed to all the members. Meanwhile members can print the pages off their computer just in case.    Good Work !

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 05:43:06 AM »
I presented potential judging standards for the Darrin based upon earlier ones from 1997.
These were printed in the Darrin Newsletters for owners of Darrins to comment /correct.
Changes were made based upon information from original/unrestored cars, which I believe is the proper way to issue changes.

Several items are indeed different from the age-old descriptions that this club has held as "golden" for years and has been used in the judging of these cars for decades.
This was to be the basis for developing new judging standards by a small select group of members, i,e.,  chief judge, historian (for background confirmation), 3 Darrin owners including yours truely.
This endeavour stalled in space somewhere.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
Why not each of us put together something similar to what "Joe Frazer" did in an earlier entry to this thread, but for the cars that we are knowledgeable about.

A number of us did exactly that a couple of years ago - it went nowhere. I don't recall why it went nowhere but I do know it wasn't the first attempt either. Personally, I've given up on it. I've learned more on these forum boards than anywhere else.

Fid
Not sure what you mean by it went nowhere. If it was "unofficial" then we don't care what the officers of the KFOCI desire. If it went nowhere because of no one wanted the copies or information, that's different.

I am in favor of what I believe Aeroman is stating - an unofficial non club sanctioned guide that helps us keep our KF cars authentic and aids in restoration.   Let the club's judging standards remain and don't mix the two for now. Just get the information out.

Seems we have experts on here for each model and years, so each of the experts should write something up and provide it to Jack.  When Jack gets more time, he can put it all together on a CD (CD right?) and send it out to everyone, who in turn can print it off.

I am more then willing to fund the cost of the CD's which is nominal I think. (Yeah way to go out on a limb) and subsequent mailing costs to interested parties.

Being a fairly new member I am not privy to all the old politics stuff and like the tone of recent posts indicating we should just do it and not worry about incorporation into the judging at Nationals.
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »
a Chief Judge should be required to make Nationals.

Who is the Chief Judge and is it different from year to year?  National to National? Let's get him or her on here to comment rather then beat around the bush.
No old cars owned.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
Let's pretend for a moment.

Pretend that we generate a list of restoration guidelines based upon looking at a "fresh off the assembly line" car that has been in a closed box for the past 60 years.
Great list, accurate beyond imagination.
We now take that list and restore a basket case.
It's perfect.  Now what??

If the club does not recognize the list, it doesn't mean diddly at judging at a National Convention.

An exercise in futility.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
I disagree with the process being futile.  National Conventions are not everything - After all they only come around to most of us every three years.  Every time the car is seen whether at a KFOCI gathering or not, having my vehicles restored to original condition for all to see is all I ask.  Trophies just gather dust --- while smiles and praise from other car lovers makes me a happy car guy.  When they ask ... "Is this what this car originally looked like 60 years ago, Whow?" ... I am delighted to say ... "Yes, to the best of my knowledge it is!!"
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
Terry,
Granted, these may not be accepted by the club AT FIRST, but once reviewed and discussed, I feel they will become part of the club. These are only to be guidelines since a lot of it will be "hearsay." And most of us like to have our cars recognized with a trophy, most of us like it even more if we know our car is accurate. This is a club that we join for fun and information, we need to offer exactly that.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
This is a Good Idea. List Special info on the Vehicle You know.

Some Dragons have last Four digets of The Vin scratched on The Black under Glove Box.
I found it on My Show Dragon. Only on Dragons. St. Louis National I told Judge Walker after looking at a few Dragons At Owners permission. Fred said Give Me an Hour ? I will ask others.

He come back said Dragons sent to Darrin’s trim done remember? Yes. When they pulled the Dash to do Bambu Vinyl, they removed Chrome section. So screw holes would match for Installation.

One More, on All Vinyl Dragons did not have the Mate under the Peadles? I have Original Carpet, does not have markers Showing sowed in.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Judging standards
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
Hey, guess what?  We now have a President, Chief judge and Historian who are all sticklers for authenticity on our cars and want these judging guidelines to get finished and printed and available to the members in the worst way.  If you still have remnants of judging guidelines that you worked on at one time please send them on to our club Historian.  Judging standards are being worked on as you read this and your help and information is needed.  Lets all pitch in and get this important job done.  This information will not disappear into the dust as it did in the past and we will all be happy when it it is finished.  In re reading through this entire thread there is much work already started and we can follow through and make things happen.  Everything in the new guidelines will be backed up with the source in which the information was found.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:20:13 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom