Author Topic: Gas in through carburetor  (Read 9326 times)

Kaiser man

• View Profile
Gas in through carburetor
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
I want to try to startup the 48' kaiser with gas going in through the carburetor so i want to know if any of you know how to do this with instructions
Thank you

I also want to know what type of spark plugs i should use in my 48' Kaiser Special preferably CHAMPION
I tried to find J8C but i ended up with no luck

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM by Kaiser man »
1948 Kaiser Special-Work in progress(when done it will be a daily driver)
1977 Jeep CJ5(daily driver)
1997 Ford Taurus(daily driver)
Have a couple more junk worthy vehicles from the 50's-70's

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas in through carburetor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
Kaiser Man, if you are talking about starting it when just pouring some gas down the carb.......first think very carefully about safety. Don't do this inside, in case a fire starts. After you pour some gas down the carb, always put the air filter back on so if it backfires you don't take a chance of shooting fire back up the carb. I've seen people (not me thankfully) burn their eyebrows off by pouring gas into a carb while someone else tries to start the car at the same time. Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Now that we have covered safety......to do this, open the throttle all the way, and pour some gas (a couple of tablespoons) down the carb, close the throttle and install the air filter. Try to crank the car. Hopefully it will start. If not try again. Another option is to use starting fluid; read the instructions on the can.

Are you sure you have spark going to the plugs?

Again - first and foremost think about safety when you do this.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
What I've always done with 53-4's is fill the carb bowl before trying to start. Put the gas in through the normal entrance aperture so that when the bowl is up to level no more will go in. This gives the optimal amount of fuel for starting. If this doesn't work, fill the bowl again and inject a little gas into the throat as per above in addition. Do heed the above warnings on replacing the air filter first.

Manhattan Man

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
Spark plug issue  -  suggest you use the Autolite A5 or the Champion J8 sparkplugs.  Do not use the J8C, the C stands for copper.  This plug is designed for SHORT RUN motors, such as lawn mowers, weed eaters, any short run engine with a 14mm plug requirement.  Our KF manuals over the years, list the plugs I've recommended.  As stated earlier, be very careful pouring the gasoline down through the carburetor and always have a fire ext. close by.  Hope this helps.

Don Pribble '53 Manhattan
                   '54 Henry J

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
What problems will the J8C plugs cause?  I think I have them in my car.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
I've used J8C plugs in my Kaisers for several years without issue. That said, I always remove and clean them half way thru the driving season and replace any that don't looks good. And, the car always gets a fresh set at the beginning of the season.

Champion has replaced J8C has been replaced with 841-1. With today's cheap gasoline (quality) I would run a slightly cooler plug like a J6 to reduce the chances of vapor lock.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:42:58 PM by joefrazer »

xkssfrank

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: J9 spark plugs
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
What is the thinking about running J9 spark plugs, thought the factory recommended running J9 instead of J8 to help vapor lock, dont know how this would help, is J9 hotter or cooler than J8?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:19:38 PM »
From the start of production through the middle of the 1951 model year, Kaiser and Frazer cars used Auto-Lite A-5 as the only factory installed plugs in the 226.  The A-5 heat range is about same as the Champion J-9 (the lower the Champion number, the hotter the spark).  During the 1951 model year, K-F went to the A-7 but the Service Bulletin announcing this indicated that in cases of hard starting or vapor lock, dealers should go back down to the A-5.

With today's gas formulas, the slightly lower heat range lets the engine run just a bit cooler which helps fight vapor lock.

Champion J-8 plugs were never used in a Kaiser or Frazer car as factory installed; they were used in the Henry J and Willys cars. 

xkssfrank

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
When starting a 6 volt battery car, remember it dosent turn over as fast as 12 volt. This makes a backfire much more possible, I have seen it happen. Especially when using ether, Make sure no gas is flooding outside the card and manifold too. Also when cranking to start, only open the carb a SMALL amount, some people floor it gas pedal and almost guarantees a backfire when the engine is cranking slowly.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
PLEASE . If pouring gas in the carb, remove the container to another location. One of our members was assisting starting his car in the garage by dribbling gas in the carb. when it backfired and knocked the container onto the engine and on the floor saturating the carpet the car burned completly along with the neighbors garage, tools everything! the car was a concours trailer Queen valued by Hemmings insurance at $80,000.   Now Try removing the 2 cover screws over the metering jets pour 2-3 ounces into the metering jets that will fill the bowl, pump the accelerator the 2-3 times start the car replace the cover and this is done by you alone, you don't need help. if it didn't catch repeat the process

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
KAISER SERVICE STANDARDS 1952-1953-1954 WILLYS MOTORS INC Toledo Ohio  list AUTO-LITE A-7 or equivalent size 14mm gap .030

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:39 AM »
The info on plug type and gap is ok ONLY ON THE 1952-53-54-55 MODEL YEARS and does not take into account the K-F service Bulletin from early 1951 where the factory states that if a car--any K-F product with a 226--has a problem with vapor lock or hard starting to take out the A-7 and go with the A-5 heat range plugs.  All Frazers and most of the 1951 model year Kaisers had A-5 plugs in them.

The switch was intended to burn more of the fuel/air mixture when it fired.  This would give a tiny bit more power and could increase MPG a mile or 2 depending on driving conditions with no damage to the engine itself. 

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:58:11 PM »
According to my Champion spark plug catalog  J9 is hotter than  J8.  The higher the number in the same type the hotter the heat range. I think this is also true of old AC and Autolite numbers.  A7 would be hotter than A5.  Hotter heat range means the core of plug retains more heat to stay hotter to help ward off fouling.  It doesn't necessarily mean a hotter spark.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »
For reasons best known to the various manufacturers, normally, the higher the number (A7 vs A5) the hotter the spark;  Champion went the opposite way.  A  J9 is the same as an A5, and a J8 is around the range of the A7.  This information is from an Auto-Lite Parts Want List chart and an Auto-Lite application poster chart that goes from 1948 back to the 1920's. 

Cave City Auto Service was not just a K-F and Willys dealer, but a Registered Service Dealer for Auto-Lite plugs, Goodyear tire store, Fram filter dealer and AC fuel pumps ( AC plugs after Ford bought Auto-Lite out).

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
Here is the chart.