Author Topic: Newby Owner  (Read 4117 times)

IowaTom

Newby Owner
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:33 PM »
Hello Guys!  I've been a Studebaker owner-driver for a number of years and only this month bought a '54 Kaiser Manhattan from a terrific gent in New Jersey.  Now I'm trying to come up with a plan to get the car from his home to mine in West Des Moines, Iowa.  He lives on a long, narrow road that would make using a large car hauler impossible.  His car is inoperable at the moment, so I'm thinking of renting a pickup and trailer and doing the job myself.

I look forward to rebuilding this car and learning as I go.  Have always had a reverence and respect for Henry Kaiser and through a dear friend in Washington state, enjoyed the most comfortable ride I've ever had in a car when he took me for a spin in his.

Will post as I go and possibly on the road if I should decide to go get it!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Newby Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
Welcome to the KFOCI forum! We look forward to hearing about your new ride. Don't forget to post a picture or two as well!

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »
Welcome.... Give U- SHIP a try.  It works on a bidding system. Some times you can find independent truck and trailer guys that live in the area . All bidders will have a bio and you can search if they own there own truck and trailer or if the are a broker.  I have used U-SHIP several times always with great results ......Good Luck.

IowaTom

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
Thank you, Guys! 
Will look into U-Ship.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
That's a nice looking car! With some elbow grease it should clean up nicely.

And, quite an eclectic mix of vehicles in the picture. I also see an Isetta as well as what appears to be a one-lunger HD.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. My son has a Ford Expedition and we drove to Michigan to pick up a non running '51
Kaiser Deluxe. When we got to a city near the car,  I rented a car trailer for a one way return. The car was not running so we had
to use a hand winch to pull it up on the trailer. They don't cost much so take one with you when you go. On the car I bought a
wheel was stuck, so we had to drag it out of a shed with the winch. We then pushed the Kaiser with a old tire between the cars
a short distance and the wheel came free. The car was back in the woods off a one lane road, so a large car hauler could not get
back there. The cost for the gas and trailer was relatively cheap and one night in a motel also included. Allow yourself plenty of
time to get the car on the trailer and take lots of tools. I called ahead so they held the trailer for me and reserved the motel room
in advance. It was a adventure and we had a good time, not to mention saving another Kaiser!

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
Welcome to KFOCI glad to see another Iowa Kaiser owner I live in Sioux City have two Kaisers a 51 and a 55 possibly we could meet half way for coffee when you get your car running you will like this bunch and they can give you a lot to help

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Welcome to the club! I to have a 54 Manhattan that I am restoring, and if you need info on how some thing comes apart, or how it should work, the club members here are a great resource. Some of the parts are very scarce for our cars so before you rip into it check here first and then procede. Again welcome.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:53:45 PM by kaiserkid »

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum. My Kaiser was both inspected and transported to me in TN by a gentleman in PA. Nice guy with a truck and trailer, reasonable price. He may not be far from where your car is, depending on location in NJ. PM me if you would like to contact him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:34:43 PM by 51Deluxe »

IowaTom

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
Guys, Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

The club folks sent me a package of stuff to enjoy and lean from and I'm looking forward to tucking the car into the garage and waiting out the rest of winter to get off the couch, out of the fridge, and under the car!  I'm going to try to rent a rotisserie for an eventual 'body-off' resto... but might just rebuild the engine and brakes at first and drive her for a few years.

First, tho, my elderly mom isn't long for this world and caring for her is my #1 priority.  The car will wait.

Thanks again, guys!  I know I'm going to love this car, forum and club!

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »
It's interesting how many folks own both Kaiser/Frazer and Studebaker-Packard products.

Good to see you posting here Tom.  :D
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »
gWelcome to the club!  I have also had success using a U-Bid type service--a guy with his own truck and trailer.  Hauling it yourself is also a good option.  The 54's are beautiful, and I like that color combination.  Good luck!

IowaTom

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
I tried U-Bid but the bids were all way too high for me, so I called U-Haul and spoke with a rep who quoted me the price to rent a pickup and double axle trailer for five days.  Turns out to be almost as much as the cost Peg, from Peg Trucking, quoted - and that's without my cost for gas, food and lodging.  Going to take her up on the job and will let you know how it goes.  My NJ friend says they've got a foot of snow on the ground with 4 to 8" more on the way.  I'm glad I'm not impatient... This winter's been brutal for everyone "up north".

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
And down South (mid-Atlantic) too!  Northern Virginia is expecting 4-8 inches tonight.

dbalfisto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 12:49:48 AM »
About 10 years ago my wife and I drove from Nashville to Calais Maine to pick up a 24 Studebaker special 6, about this time of year, outrunning snowstorms on the way back.  Did a local trailer rental deadheading up as it was cheaper than the one way rental.  Luckily for me I had business reasons to return to Maine and was able to turn in mileage (which at the time equalled airfare). The client laughed when I turned in mileage for a 3200 mile trip, knowing I had located the car on a previous business trip.  Just cost me a few nights hotel.  This year I only had to drive 15 miles from home to get my new 54 Manhattan, on a sunny Christmas Day.  Best to you.
David Boyd
Time flies when you are in the garage, ask my wife