Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser emergency brake large return spring  (Read 1335 times)

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser emergency brake large return spring
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
1953 Kaiser--the large return spring under the car for the emergency brake assy has broken..my handle doesn't return back into position, this spring is one of 2 but is by far larger than the other one. Any suggestions? I figured something will work but hoped to get a little up front info on what to look for or use. Thanks for any help!

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser emergency brake large return spring
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
If you still have the spring take it to Ace Hardware and match it up.  Many hardware stores have drawers of springs for similar purpose(s).

Same with most Auto Parts stores I'd presume...believe I've seen them there.

;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:52:37 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »
Thanks Mike--I just worried about getting one that is as heavy made as the original. Light spring won't do it but maybe they will have a heavy spring that will work.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
I've always been able to find what I needed in hardware store displays. You can always match the stiffness, but sometimes the correct length is elusive. If too short, two can be spliced together; if too long, cut off and bent on the end. Isn't that critical a thing.

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
Went to Tractor Supply problem seems to be length of coil and overall length and tension.  Got one that the diameter is right--coil way too long so I might try to shorten and cut the end, none of the part houses had anything close and
ace was closed due to the snow I guess. Isn't this what makes it interesting...LOL

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Update: Got spring worked out but found the cable assy. bad. Looked for one but couldn't find one but I located a supplier called Inline Tube in Michigan that took my old one as a sample and duplicated it. Only problem was the ball on the end of the cable was bigger and I had to fit it to the handle assy. Worked out--so far so good! Maybe that will help if someone else needs one.