Author Topic: Exhaust leak into the cooling system on a 225 Kaiser 6 Cylinder??  (Read 10128 times)

dbalfisto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exhaust leak into the cooling system on a 225 Kaiser 6 Cylinder??
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
I may be too late into this particular discussion but as a protocol, I agree with the revised torque sequence, almost all head gaskets will seat better working inside out.  A few recommendations:
-Clean all surfaces
-Run straightedge on head (have machine shop grind straight if warped) yippee incrementally higher compression.
-use new bolts if possible
-chase all threads and blow clear
-coat bolt threads, shaft and head mating surfaces with anti seize lubricant
-perform the torque sequence in stages, first torquing to 20# then 30# finally pulling to final spec'd torque using smooth pulling motion avoiding jerks.

Looks like you have done more disassembly so lapping the valves would be a great prophylactic procedure and pretty simple at this point, I haven't bought valve grinding compound in a few years and have a now antique hand cranked oscillating grinding tool. Pretty simple and you can inspect valves and seats for cracks or blow by.

David Boyd
Time flies when you are in the garage, ask my wife

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »
Ok, it is finally together, exhaust manifold welded and both manifolds have been planed.   The car runs great but I need a heater control valve or a kit to change the seals.   I will bypass the valve until I get them.

The Engine is now detailed and looks more like the outside of the car.   

I went with an on-line Continental manual for the valve adjustment:   Intakes .014" ;  Exhaust .017".    I did not go by the manual because it says both adjustments are at .014".    It goes against the grain not to have the exhaust valve a little more clearance since they run hotter.

54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »
Looks Great, best of luck with it!!
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr