Author Topic: New Body  (Read 729 times)

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
New Body
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:29:17 PM »
If a car that I own becomes a rust bucket and really beyond repair...and...I purchase another body that is in good shape, can I transfer the tags from the rust bucket to the good body...and still "own" the first car?

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Body
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:55 AM »
Yes if your state allows it.  Some tags are registered to the owner and some are assigned to one car only.  Check with your local DMV.  You may have to buy tags for that new vehicle.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »
I think you should be ok. After the extensive metal work on mine the number plates were pretty much going on another shell other than my original. There are "hidden" serial number stampings so if you want it "according to hoyle" you might want to re-stamp those, however, don't be surprised if they weren't stamped to begin with.

Here's a Willys thread eventually identifying the additional KFW number stamping locations. Unfortunately (it appears to me anyway)the poster that dug deep enough to find jakes old post linked the image to a defunct 3rd party site rather than a direct link here.

Here's a link to that thread http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10234.0.html, the clue the poster mentioned is the original document is another year back in jakes posts................... shouldn't be too hard to find........ ::)
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Thanks for all the help. DMV may have my answer.