Author Topic: auto transport  (Read 1473 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
auto transport
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
I need to ship a car from Boston, Ma to No Cal.   Does anyone know of a shipper that's good?    thanks,  Jim

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: auto transport
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
Careful ... I paid Alpine Auto Transport one month ago to transport a Kaiser from San Diego to Washington and the transport still is not been scheduled.  Grrrrr!!!!
They had such a nice website with such nice references.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Auto transport companies vary widely in their service. Those with low rates either sub-contract their work to other carriers who then put you on stand-by, that is, you wait for a truck with open space that's headed your direction, or they're a mom and pop operation with smaller units and you again wait for a slot. If you're in no hurry it's no big deal but it can be frustrating. I contacted to have a BMW sports car brought to Ohio from Palm Desert CA and it took them almost 3 months to get the car to me. It didn't matter as it was winter when I contracted with them so by the time the car got here, the snow was gone and I was able to enjoy the car. My advice, get it in writing...ask the company to give you window of pickup and delivery in writing so you know when your car is on it's way.

As for who to use, there are many to choose from on the internet. Companies like Intercity Lines are top notch but you will pay for that service. I used DAS Auto Shippers for another car haul but it was only 300 miles...and service was prompt and reasonable.

Hollenway

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
I've used Intercity Lines many times - and as Jim says... they are top notch but you will pay for their great service.    Still.... if I bought a really nice car they are the only folks I would use.   I had a 47 Kaiser moved one time by an independent shipper and when it got to my place the car didn't even have a safety chain on it.   It was a miracle it made it from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania in one piece.    If the car you are shipping is a restored automobile - my advice is spend the dollars and go with an reputable shipper.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
When I moved my collection from So CA to Missouri I bought a nice car trailer for $1000 and used my one ton Ford Econoline to move the vehicles myself.  I made 28 round trips and probably saved a lot of money but gas is still expensive.  If you need to move one vehicle why not rent a truck and trailer and do it yourself.  You can get the job done in just the time that it takes to make the trip.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
I have a Ford dealer in town who rents new pickups for $240. per week and 1500 free miles. The
trailer I rented from U-haul for a 1 way fee of $100. That's how to do it fairly cheaply unless you have
lots of miles to cover, them it can really add up. Be sure to get a long trailer as my "51 barely fit
on the trailer. The new cars all have short wheelbases compared to the Kaiser.