Author Topic: Generator Field 53 Manhattan  (Read 1081 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Generator Field 53 Manhattan
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Hi All

Back on the 53 Manhattan and having a little problem trying to figure out which post is the field and arm on my generator.  The manual shows all three post in a row running from the front of the generator to the back.  My Generator has the post side by side with a fairly large screw in the forward part of the Generator which I am guessing is the ground.  No markings on the generator nor can I find the manufacture.  IIAny Ideas??

Thanks for all the feedback

Mark

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Generator Field 53 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
Look carefully at the bottom rear terminal and you will see a letter 'A' stamped in the casting. In fact, it's visible in your picture when I double-clicked and zoomed. That's the armature which should connect to the thicker wire. The field will go to the thinner wire. I don't see an 'F' in the picture but perhaps it's above the terminal out of sight in the photo but look for it as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:46:27 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
Thanks Fid

Thats just what I was looking for.  I was fairly sure but sure don't to get the wiring backwards (not that I have ever done that).  Both post are the same size however Mr. McBrides wiring harness has a smaller connecter on the thinner wire .   Is the big flat head screw on the front of the Generator the ground?

This is my first restore and could not do it without input like this

Many thanks

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
Yes, the big flat head screw is ground. It goes straight to the case on the generator.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios