Author Topic: A Challenge for the new KFOCI Officers  (Read 9624 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: A Challenge for the new KFOCI Officers
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Is there a suggested list of who we should be notifying??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
It would vary but I would expect that besides HEMMINGS and OLD CARS WEEKLY, local and regional newspapers, local radio & TV stations and any popular old car publications distributed in the area of the meet with an upcoming events listing should be included.  Between the local sources and the old car magazines, you're trying to build up possibility of exposure. 

For the "working press" you may want to have someone available with a nicely restored (original rather than modified) car available to let properly accredited people sit behind the wheel to get a feel for what the car is like and even go with him or her for a short drive (plan the course in advance).  If things go right, the camera person would go along and what they record may be part of the story they do.  Remember, odds are that whoever comes to cover the event will probably be younger than the cars themselves and don't know anything about them.   This offer would not be extended to the public at large.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
I still think a joint meet with a sister club is the wave of the future. While there are many things to consider...as have been mentioned...I believe it is worth pursuing. I have a commitment from a regional Willys club to hold a joint meet soon. We might try it at the division level and see how things go. One never knows!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 07:41:23 AM »
A Division level meet seems the best approach to start it and see.  I don't see how we can allow other car clubs to get involved in the scheduling and decision making activities for our club any more than we should meddle in other car club decision making and scheduling.

This could get sticky especially if the meet is held in a smaller town; the KFOCI on its own is not large enough to be a "special event" but if you bring in multiple car clubs, you run the risk of creating another Iola situation that the area had to work through because of overloading local facilities, roads, law enforcement, etc.  I was part of that back in the days when traffic on the two-lane roads into Iola from Waupaca and Stevens Point was backed up for miles and a number of cars packed it up due to overheating or vapor lock.

It's also an excuse for motels in the area to hike their rates; it costs enough to travel as it is with gas hovering around $4.00/gallon in many parts of the country.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:25:41 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I can't imagine anything like that between KF and Willys.  IT would be exciting to see that many KFs and Willys.

We use to have a Buckeye meeting at the Lancaster Old Car Festival and it worked out great.  We were able to talk with other car clubs and then we would have a short meeting in a shaded area.  Our region was very informal, which may have made it easier.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck