Author Topic: TESLA $$$  (Read 2811 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
TESLA $$$
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
Wonder how a super low volume manfactuer could afford all this high tec? Just say "obamagear".

Skip the add at the beginning.

http://devour.com/video/how-a-tesla-is-made/
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TESLA $$$
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:03:08 AM »
Eldon Musk put a fair bit of his personal cash into the deal and while that is a plus there are some "avoided" and "unanswered" questions about operations.

1.  The whole sales model of the company relies on people placing orders on line and shipping the car direct to the owner.  I have been told that there are at least regional service centers for the car but the same people telling me this cannot produce a list showing cities, addresses etc.  Is the info top secret?  No, the places referred to are actually these "quick change" battery facilities that have no abilities other than swap battery sets.  If the car needs to be fixed it goes back to the factory for repair.  That's why the bulk of the sales are either on the West Coast or to people who have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to ship the car in for repair and pay the freight cost of getting it back after repair.

2.  Most states in the United States will not allow a brand of new car to be sold in their state unless there is a dealership with parts and service abilities to support the car while in a retail customer's possession.  Eldon Musk is on record saying that the laws are antiquated and should be abolished.  He apparently does not care that people cannot fix one of these themselves.  If he cannot get the laws overturned or an exemption, the alternative to expand sales would be to set up dealerships in the classic sense.  That would require a price hike of between 28-35% to cover dealer margins that are normal for a car selling in the Model S price range. 

3.  The Tesla model S is a well engineered car.  GM, Ford, Chrysler and several other auto makers have learned a lot about building an electric car based on their tear downs of Model S automobiles that they purchased for competitive intelligence purposes.    If the actual market for such a car at the approximate $79,000 price point (and above) rises from niche level, they are able to get their versions in the marketplace and sell it through dealers they already have at a price lower than Tesla Motors could build for, just like in the 1950's when their marketing tactics put the independents out of the general marketplace and into their own niches.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
Who said life was fair?

In California if a condominium resident has an electric vehicle and requests the Condominium owners association for a recharging station. the association must provide one at its expence,built to some very expensive state specifications. If you were in a small condo group, it could bankrupt the association and /or the owners.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
The current situation with Mr. Musk concerns me.  I want to see how this hyperloop thing plays out.  Maybe he's moving on to greener pastures with less government obstructions (note my comments above).

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

The way they can do this is with your tax dollars. Obummer gave them a ton of our money.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
I am not commenting on my own political views, but I want to know, perhaps from our webmaster, Chris Leucht, what the policy about politics is on this website.  Name calling, such as "obamagear" and "Obummer," seem to be unproductive and not in line with the purposes of this forum, but correct me if I am wrong.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »
rAnd lets look into people putting their car for sale in this section when there is a section for  that.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
Regarding the Tesla car, at least one recognized stock analysist stated on Friday the 23 that Tesla needs to give serious thought to producing a hybrid or gasoline-powered automobile.  They suggested this after an analysis of the electric car market and evaluating Tesla's ability to get above the 30,000 car/year plateau that they felt was needed to keep the company stock at the current share price.  I picked this off YAHOO's financial area on the 23rd.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
We could argue the politics of it and whether this is the future or not, but it is a great car in and of itself.  I saw lots of the Tesla 'S' 's on our trip in So. California.  I've talked to a few owners (two, actually) and in my unscientific pol, people who own them seem to like them.  Maybe that's just a case of them not wanting to look like fools for buying into the concept, but the two I talked to seemed to genuinely like the cars.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 11:11:13 AM »
Southern CA is about the only area one is likely to see more than 1 or 2 Tesla automobiles.  All the quick charging stations are on the east coast or west coast except for the recently opened one in Texas.  You still have to send the cars back to the factory for significant servicing, at least I have yet to see any directory of field service centers (dare I say dealerships?) in various parts of the country.  Finally, talking about Texas, I understand that the state has banned Tesla car sales as long as the company refuses to open up dealerships in the state.