Author Topic: Timing gears  (Read 1348 times)

Restoredent

• View Profile
Timing gears
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Just started to assemble my 53 manhatten 226 engine. I am a little confused by the photo in the shop Manuel re. The timing gears. The photo says to have the timing marks 9 link pins apart. The photo appears to show the marks 10 pins apart. I would assume the text of 9 would take precedence ove the picture, but when the marks are 9 pins apart, they are not uniformly within the chain links. Any clarification would be appreciated. Critical to say the least.     Steve

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Timing gears
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »
I seem to have been there a few times in the past- I have always gone by the pic- after all why would they put it on wrong and then photo it. You are correct- doesn't look right they way it is described. I think the problem is how they count the 9 pins, like which is the starting point, 0 or 1.

Restoredent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
I went back and moved it to 9 pins, and then rotated the crank until the timing marks were symmetrical with the curve of the gears. Now it looks ok at 9, but I sure don't want to get it wrong. Any body else have thoughts, or a definitive answer?

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »
call ED EWING HE IS 94 YEARS OLD AND STILL HAS HIS OWN SHOP and does kf engines for us and advertises in the monthly  PHONE  9am to noon pacific time phone cell 530-241-2296 or home 530-241-7990