Author Topic: Monthly President's Message  (Read 59058 times)

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: Monthly President's Message
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »
Lew Retzer knows of a 1955 Willys Custom that is titled as a 1956 because it was kept by the dealership until 1956 when it was finally sold to a private individual. There were no 1956 Customs built although this is one.

I agree that we should open the club up to all Kaiser and Willys vehicles built after the discontinuance of the 1955 automobiles. Many of us collect vehicles that were built later yet are related. Only AMC-built Jeep products that were identical  to the Kaiser-built versions should be allowed - or do we draw a line here (1969 cut-off)?

There is also listed a starting date of 1946, so this will exclude all Willys-Overland built (and Ford-built and Bantam-built) military Jeeps of World War II and every Willys-Overland and Graham-Paige vehicle built before that time. There are clubs for those vehicles, and with the exception of the WWII Jeeps, I don't see an overlap or need to include them. I do think we should welcome them if any ever show at our meets, but they would not be judged.

This will also mean expansion of judging classes if this passes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:02:58 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »
BIG NEWS!

The Midwest Division of the KFOCI has agreed to hold a joint meet with the Midwest Willys Reunion group. I have been working with the Willys group for some time to put this together and I am excited about the prospect of holding a joint meet. The Willys group is alot like the KF crowd...we're passionate about our cars and we like getting together and talking about them.

We will be meeting on the 13th thru the 15th of May, 2016 at the Clarion Hotel on Route 8 which sits right next to Interstate 80, the Ohio Turnpike. The host hotel is eager to have the larger group and has the facilities to handle a convention sized crowd.

We've still to work out many of the finer details but we plan to have a Saturday evening dinner with a speaker, a hospitality room with lots of KF and Willys material to pour over, as well as a parking lot big enough to hold 50 to 75 vehicles in addition to parts vendors.

I know we're a year away from this show, but set aside the dates and attend. You will be glad you did!

Here's a link to the Midwest Willys Reunion site. http://www.midwestwillysreunion.org/index.htm

They hold a fall meet as well and this year it will be at the Truman Hotel in Jefferson City, MO. If you find yourself in the area, stop by!

Watch the bulletin and this page for more information.

FleetMaster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
So, is the 2016 meet going to be at the same location as 2015?  Clarion Hotel in Hudson, OH?  Maybe i missed it but neither your message nor the Willy's website appeared to indicate where things will be in 2016...  Hudson OH is less than 10 miles from the Corporate offices for my division at work.  A nice area with ample shopping and places to just get away both in Cleveland and Akron.  Should be a nice location for the joint meet.
1923 T Roadster- stock
1951 Frazer Convertible
1951 Frazer Vagabond home couple weeks
1953 Packard Clipper Sedan
2 into 1 1953 Packard 8P sedans- project
1954 Hudson Hornet 4D sedan plus 2 1954 Wasp 2D sedans
1959 Rambler 6 Sedan
1961 Studebaker Hawk 289 3spd od
1964 Studebaker Avanti
1974 Avanti II

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »
As of today, the meet site is slated to be the Clarion Hotel in Hudson, OH. This is at the intersection of Ohio route 8 and US Interstate 80, the Ohio Turnpike. There are a great many details to work thru, but we're excited at the prospect of a joint meet and the potential for new members.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:56:57 AM by joefrazer »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
A Memorial Day message - It is especially fitting that we recognize the Memorial Day holiday given the impact that Henry J Kaiser and his companies had on the war effort. His Liberty and Victory ships in WWII and the Jeep and airplane contribution in the Korean conflict as well as in Viet Nam left a lasting legacy that we will always remember.

But, most of all, never forget those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »
A quick message to let everyone know that the new version of the KFOCI home page is nearing completion. I'm testing the beta version today and if all goes well, we'll have the new pages running very soon. Stay tuned for more updates!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »
With just six weeks until our national convention, I'm working to get my 54 HJ together. I have the front section of the frame and suspension painted as well as the inner fenders and the radiator core support. A new radiator arrived the other day, along with a box of needed goodies from Rudy. The fuel tank has been recoated and I have a new sending unit to connect to a new wiring harness. I think this week I will begin the task of installing the dash section of the harness.

I mention all of this because, again, there's only six week's until we attend the 57th annual convention of the KFOCI. I caught up with our host and he tells me there are about 35 cars and 50 registrations, which works out to about 100 people. I'd like to see the car count double...and the people count too! So, if you're on the fence about attending, please make the decision to be a part of the fun in Gettysburg.

And, our website changes are in beta testing and all looks good. Soon, members will have the ability to update their own membership information, produce a roster for their own use that is current to the day, and those who need mailing lists will be able to produce them without having to work thru several steps to make it happen. In addition, we'll have a section the site devoted to members only, with more information about our cars that's not available elsewhere. All of this has been designed to help you, the member, stay more in touch with your club and all it has to offer. Your club secretary worked hard to research and find a software package that would produce results and we're close to rolling it out to the general membership.

All for now,
Jim Lape
President

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »
FOUND - the Cracked KF Plaque, awarded at the Michigan-Ohio meet (Seaway) for many years has been found. I plan to restore the plaque and would like to begin awarding it once again. It's a great way to have some fun at a meet!

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
Great Idea ... the PNW will be doing it!!
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
Well, here it is the first week of July with just three more to go until we meet in Gettysburg, PA for our annual convention. I checked with our meet hosts and we have 100 registrations in and about 50 cars to fill the lot. With late registrations continuing to roll in (pun intended) I'd like to see both numbers increase by at least 50 percent. So, if you're debating whether to go, this should help drive the decision! We'll have Dick Langworth, author of The Last Onslaught on Detroit, as our keynote speaker at the banquet. I've heard Dick speak at several functions and I can tell you his presentations are always interesting.

As for my 54 Henry J, work progresses. I have the firewall and door jambs cleaned and painted, as well as the underbody and frame. The car has new brakes and a fresh coat of paint on the engine and transmission. I'm in the middle now of getting the wheels cleaned and painted and then it will be time for the new tires to be installed. At that point, let the assembly begin!

Lastly, this is an election year and all of the executive positions are up for reelection. I am the nominating committee chairman and as yet, no one has formally stepped forward to vie for a position. Be an active part of the club, get involved!

See you in Gettysburg!

Jim Lape
President

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Here we are...national meet week! If you're planning to attend the meet, be sure to bring your sunscreen and some shade. I understand it's to be a bit warm this week. That's OK, as we'll be in the company of many KF friends. My HJ is complete enough to bring along and I plan to check out the other J's for all those things my car is either missing or installed incorrectly. I'm sure that will be a long list!

For those unable to attend, keep an eye on this column as I will be posting notes and pictures from time to time.

Off to Gettysburg!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
Over 200 members and guests and 52 cars so far. Here's a picture of some of the show field.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
I am exited to arrive!  I will be there Thursday to see the cars being judged.  Looking forward to it!

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:55 PM »
Two Aeros! Wish I could witness in person.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 06:04:56 AM »
Here's a rare car...it's a Kaiser Carabela, produced in Argentina. This one was used as a factory engineering car.