Author Topic: Kaiser sign on eBay  (Read 1740 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser sign on eBay
« on: February 14, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Are any of you familiar with the sign that was recently posted on eBay? #361211367653  It is eight inches by twenty inches and is a Kaiser only lighted sign. If it were made in 1953 or later it would be Kaiser-Willys so I think it must have been made in 1952-3.  eBay seems to have an endless supply of K-F-W advertising items. It was sold by a consignment shop in Toledo and the seller says that the family was a K-F dealer at one time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:13:44 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser sign on eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
The sign size that K-F had should be 10 inches high and 28 inches across.  It first appeared in the 1950 issued factory signage catalog  for Kaiser or Frazer as the S-5K or S-5F.  Anything else along these lines is a fake.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
The sign I was talking about is a skeletal type NOT the one pictured.  As I don't have the Kaiser-Willys signage catalog I have no idea about the picture Jake posted.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
I spent many years running coin op laundries, and learned a lot about signs in the process. This looks to me like a standard lighted sign box with a custom made plastic face with relief letters. Any local sign shop in the US could make this back then, up until the 90's  and some even today. I doubt it is a K-F made sign.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:51 AM »
Some local sign shops did offer K-F signage and many dealers had their own K-F signs custom made,  I have one that even has the sign shop name printed on it.  K-F had some approved signs illustrated in the catalogs that the dealers used to order what they called "Sales Aids".  There was a beautiful Frazer sign on display at the San Diego National Meet a couple of years ago.  There must have been signs for the Kaiser only for a couple of years as they used the Kaiser-Frazer signs at least up until 1951.  Thanks for the good information!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:14:42 AM »
Kaiser-Frazer service signs were actually produced by several different companies;  Royal Signs in PA made theirs with the lower "Frazer" part of the circle a separate piece of metal.  Locking the sign in its "ring" holder held the pieces together.  There were lit vertical signs for Kaiser and Frazer that were to go each side of the main showroom doors and window skeletal signs that were neon (they called it "Zeon") types.  The Sign Catalog is in the Sales Aid Catalog Binder along with other signage that came out after the pink & black piece that appeared in 1951.