Author Topic: The V8 experience needed.....  (Read 1346 times)

Docs52

• My 1953 Kaiser Deluxe Sedan
    • View Profile
    • Email
The V8 experience needed.....
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:04:07 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I first want to explain to the members that want to keep their Kaiser's original, that how I wanted to restore my '53 Kaiser Deluxe sedan, I thought was a diamond in the ruff, all original with no body damage and no cut wiring a real barn find!! That I received in a trade with my rebuilt '64 Chevy Corvair coupe and a good start with no cash involved!! But, when I started to get into the project I found the wiring to be crumbling apart, all the side glass broke and the last straw the block cracked. At the same time I was working on a '64 ford long bed pickup, I was going to install a totally rebuilt '65 Hi-Pro 289 with a 4 speed toploader transmission and had to put in new wiring, brakes, paint. I love the body style of the Kaiser, I want the car to be a driver!! So I asked myself, what I really wanted, I am not rich to do two projects at one time and so the Kaiser won!!! I have seen others put a ford motor in a '54 Kaiser in the history of the forum and I know it can be done. So, that being said, I could use the following information: does anybody have a pattern of the mounting bars that the motor mounts for a 289 ford motor and where to weld to the frame. Do you need to use a double sump oil pan, can you use the Kaiser's original front suspension?
Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Doc Wasson

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The V8 experience needed.....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
I have seen many "restorod" people use a Mustang front suspension sub frame that is welded to an old
car's frame at the firewall. Now you have a new suspension with front disc brakes. Since you already have
a FoMoCo engine your mounting problems go away. 12 or 6 volt alternator, your choice. Any good speed
shop could make a support bracket for an auto transmission and you would have a modern drive line in
your car. Keep the Kaiser steering wheel and auto shifter and fabricate adapters. MY brother-in-law did
a restoration on a '48 Ford pickup with a expensive rebuild of the stock front suspension. He was not
happy with the way it handled so he removed it and put in the Mustang suspension. It turned out well.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:49:12 PM »
mustang 2 front suspension......
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
I'll bet finding an original Mustang II front end is quite a problem these days- after 20 years of it being the number one front end swap for rods of all descriptions!

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »
Original is not the way to go. There are several outlets for complete units, ready to install, usually under 2 grand.