Author Topic: Is it just me???  (Read 8427 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it just me???
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:47 AM »
Is it just me or has the facebook page of the KF club supplanted the Forum??

It seems that the Facebook KF group is busier than the forum has ever been and lately, there has been little input from others on this forum.

Maybe it's just me!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KFOCI/permalink/10156968898508819/
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it just me???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Supplant, not entirely but definitely seems more active. I don't comment there often but do see a lot of "post" notifications.

Same for the Aero FB page but to a lesser degree, although I post & reply there more often. Pretty slow there in recent weeks, as it has been in the Willys forum here.

Some is seasonal I think, some is that it  seems to be a popular format. A post on either FB group seldom goes "un-acknowledged". That is, if not receiving direct replies, gets some sort of non verbal response from those that read it.

In contrast, I posted 2 replies here with search info in a "Parts" request. If not for the view counter, (as of today 118 views) my impression would be that it just went out into the "ether" un-noticed.

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:31:23 PM »
That's not good for me. I don't do Facebook.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
That's not good for me. I don't do Facebook.

I didn't either and am not a big fan in many respects but registered after Taylor Brugman (now deceased) kept inviting me to the Aero page, and I've really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I think FB's voracious information gathering & tracking of users is Orwellian (as is google & gmail).

I registered with a free online email account, not my regular one, and used my car model as my name. That seems to have hugely reduced the amount of useful info & connections to other people in my day to day life. Pretty much just Aero, Jeep, Rural & KF people here and other countries. Of course FB keeps "suggesting" dozens of new "friends" to build their tracking network of "friends of friends of friends of friends" which I don't do. I never use my computer for other things while logged onto FB.

Since then I joined a few other interesting groups I visit from time to time. The S America Aero group, a couple KF groups, Mid Century in Color (photographs) a couple vintage car photo groups and Vintage Girls & Transportation (photos). Once you log in, you can do a quick scan through any groups you've joined.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
I don't do Facebook because of all the trouble it brings on . Home break ins while you are gone etc.
 The wife was doing a lot of it and I told her to stop posting so she checks others post . So she said . I went to get a haircut and the folks started kidding me about a picture on Facebook of me in my recliner asleep . I laughed with them about it but went home and went ballistic on the wife . I don't think she post anymore . Well , maybe not .

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
My wife has a normal registration in her name & business, checks it fairly regularly but pretty much leaves us out of it, and definitely doesn't broadcast to the web when we're traveling.

With mine I get to check in with groups of interest without leaving a highly personalized footprint behind on the net.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »

FYI: although the page was started by 2 club members, it is NOT an official KFOCI page
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
Have been wondering why so few posts on our site here. Have not and don't want to go to Facebook for anything.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »

FYI: although the page was started by 2 club members, it is NOT an official KFOCI page

Not germaine.  We never said it was official KFOCI and although I enjoy this website, official sanctioned, these sort of words have less meaning with a club with now less than 1000 members.   
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »
Being into Buick Reattas, they now also have an active Facebook page and I am not on Facebook.  I tried once, I believe I have a site set up but every time I go to use it, I am asked to sign in and never get any further. 

Nonetheless, I prefer independent club domain websites like this one. I also visit AACA - where the Reatta subforum is.  Cadillac LaSalle Club. 

As I noted in another post, CL now charges $5 for their ads.  This has been in place for 3 + weeks.  Right after they shut it down as a free site, they cancelled all free ads and you could almost hear the sucking sound from the ads disappearing, over 60% of their car ads disappeared. 

While it is true $5 is not a lot of money, being free meant easy access to a well known on line marketplace.  I have not seen those ads return with the veracity expected after a marketplace realignment. 

Why do I bring this up?  Because several of us would post CL finds of KF and related cars, and whether lurking or not, usually we would add comments on those cars.  I learned a lot from Jim L, Fid and Gordie among others. 

I am not sure what FB has that this forum does not, or FB marketplace, which some have said is slowly replacing C.L. 

As for the specific forums like Dragon, Willys and so on, they seem to attract current owners, which I am not.  The General section has slowed way down here, and I used to like Jack's input as historian on historical subjects.  I will get involved in those posts, but the posts have largely gone away. 

I know this, splintering the already small KF community into 2 camps is not good overall. 
No old cars owned.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »

Not germaine.  We never said it was official KFOCI and although I enjoy this website, official sanctioned, these sort of words have less meaning with a club with now less than 1000 members.   

Roadmaster, please see above ... while the OP did not specifically call it an official club page, the implication was clear. Because that FB page is NOT an official club page my statement was germane. What is not germane is your (or any other non-club member) opinion of what we as a club chose to officially sanction. Regardless of our size, the words DO have meaning for us.
Barbara Mueller

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
Again, there should be an official FB page.  I check FB as well as this forum as do a number of people. FB, although it has its issues, is just a great platform to EXTEND the club and network.  There are many people in the FB pages/groups that are not aware of the club or choose not to be in it whatever their reason.  But it allows you to network nonetheless. Also, ebay will still be around and FB marketplace is great!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:22:42 PM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Again, there should be an official FB page. 

There is: https://www.facebook.com/KFOCI/ 

However, it needs updated contact info & a new Administrator ~ all will be discussed at the 2019 National in Granbury TX in July
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:28:39 PM by Bulletin Editor »
Barbara Mueller

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
Yes....I'm familiar with it, but it has been idle for a long time while the other pages have been flourishing. The club should really make contact to get that page up and running. You can install multiple admins for whenever there is turnover...you probably don't want to wait too long. The club needs to keep up with the Joneses and they are way ahead ::)
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
Yes....I'm familiar with it, but it has been idle for a long time while the other pages have been flourishing. The club should really make contact to get that page up and running. You can install multiple admins for whenever there is turnover...you probably don't want to wait too long. The club needs to keep up with the Joneses and they are way ahead ::)

Agreed ... it's in process
Barbara Mueller