Author Topic: Is it just me???  (Read 8459 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it just me???
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
Yes....I'm familiar with it, but it has been idle for a long time while the other pages have been flourishing. The club should really make contact to get that page up and running. You can install multiple admins for whenever there is turnover...you probably don't want to wait too long. The club needs to keep up with the Joneses and they are way ahead ::)

I've been there before & just dropped in for a look & I can't find the membership number on the "Official" KF Group FB page, but I've seen it stated more than once the other one with 900 members is not officially part of the club.
Even though I've never seen it addressed, I'm guessing (since this subject usually seems focused on KF cars) the US Aero FB group with 400 members isn't either.
There's also various Henry J or Darrin FB Groups I've stumbled across, and another 1000 members in the South America Aero Group, can't remember the number on the S America Kaiser group.

I'm just going to keep visiting all the groups that interest me...….and are active.

I've mentioned mergers before but it seems there's some unspoken friction going on and re-inventing the wheel is the current course. I don't have a dog in that fight, just try to make helpful suggestions when the subject comes up and yeah, the Joneses are way ahead. Looks like the choices are a marriage or a feud.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 07:50:21 AM »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »

I'm not a FB expert but I'm not sure 615 "Likes" means 615 registered members. Every other FB group I visit has the membership number right next to the "Invite Member" link, and there's no membership number on the "Official" group. I'm guessing...……..but I think someone has opted to not make that number visible. That number could be posted as other groups do, or stated here.
I know there's at least a few members there due to some sporadic posts, but if there's actually 615 registered members and the group is still that inactive then there's a lot more going on than meets the eye.

The bottom line is that a division isn't good.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
People seem to be confusing the number of "Likes" on FB pages with the number of members, and the number of FB page members does not reflect the number of actual KFOCI members.

For example, this Forum has 2656 registered members - not all of them are active, not all of them are posting, and certainly not all of them are KFOCI members (active or former). 
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
It’s how it’s set up...it’s the difference between a page and a group.
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Is it just me or has the facebook page of the KF club supplanted the Forum??
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KFOCI/permalink/10156968898508819/

FYI: although the page was started by 2 club members, it is NOT an official KFOCI page

Not germaine.  We never said it was official KFOCI and although I enjoy this website, official sanctioned, these sort of words have less meaning with a club with now less than 1000 members.   

Roadmaster, please see above ... while the OP did not specifically call it an official club page, the implication was clear. Because that FB page is NOT an official club page my statement was germane. What is not germane is your (or any other non-club member) opinion of what we as a club chose to officially sanction. Regardless of our size, the words DO have meaning for us.

OK Barbara I joined YOUR club and put in an extra $15 specified to support website costs.  $15 is what I would pay Hemmings for a subscription to their magazine. 

I was a member, and while I was a member I never received anything from Jack that I was supposed to get.  I also wanted to sign up for at least 2 years on-line but as best I could tell - as you noted I am kind of soft between the ears - I did not see a multi year option.  I know there are no discounts for multi year because the club is hemorrhaging members and cash - but I like to join for multiple years so I don't have to try and remember anything for awhile. 

I don't want any paper Bulletin, e-Bulletin only, but would like the other stuff members get. If I need to pay extra for those, I gladly will, just tell me how much and I'll go in and do another donation to speed things along. 
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
The "joneses" will not be ahead until other clubs starting putting together something with the content of the KFOCI HANDBOOK on CD.  At last check with OLD CARS magazine, no other car club provides the dept and breadth of information to regular club members (those receiving publications) as the Handbook provides.

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 12:38:53 AM »
Not sure on the fb page it is a Closed group...

EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
The "joneses" will not be ahead until other clubs starting putting together something with the content of the KFOCI HANDBOOK on CD.  At last check with OLD CARS magazine, no other car club provides the dept and breadth of information to regular club members (those receiving publications) as the Handbook provides.

Something to consider is possibly switching to flash drives for the handbook since most computers no longer come with a CD drive.

If you're interested in sharing the info to all KF owners that find the "Official" group page (if one gets created/negotiated) then it should be posted there either for sale or with a membership.

Momentum on the net is ethereal and hard to boost as a latecomer. It's going to be a very hard slog for anyone, even with internet savvy, to overcome the membership numbers of the existing KFW groups. I'm skeptical of an "us vs them" pathway to success.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
My current laptop has CD drive but my laptop is 6 years old now, and Mark is correct. The provision of the history and background that Jack has done should be made available to folks in other mediums. I believe Jim L suggested a flash drive at one time.  True, CDs are inexpensive, especially now, but availability needs to be upgraded.  Time for a members only section on this website? 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Yes, I made the suggestion some time ago that we move away from outdated CDs since, as Mark mentioned, most lap and desk top machines no longer carry the drives. A thumb drive would work, or placing it on a password protected section of the club's website would be better yet. Having it online would eliminate the need to copy and mail the drives, saving the club money, as well as ensuring portability when someone on the road wants to look for a service bulletin or other repair information. And, updates could be made real-time.

Just a thought.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
I would say put it on the website in a format that allows users (members) to download to a USB    It’s highly unlikely that a member shares that with a non member.  Jack can update periodically and tell everyone and then you go in and download the latest. 
No old cars owned.

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 06:26:17 PM »
The “Joneses” comment was only referring to the “other” Kaiser pages/groups. You don’t want to wait as the other pages will be the ones more frequented.
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 10:50:18 AM »
OK Barbara I joined YOUR club and put in an extra $15 specified to support website costs.  $15 is what I would pay Hemmings for a subscription to their magazine. 

I was a member, and while I was a member I never received anything from Jack that I was supposed to get.  I also wanted to sign up for at least 2 years on-line but as best I could tell - as you noted I am kind of soft between the ears - I did not see a multi year option.  I know there are no discounts for multi year because the club is hemorrhaging members and cash - but I like to join for multiple years so I don't have to try and remember anything for awhile. 

I don't want any paper Bulletin, e-Bulletin only, but would like the other stuff members get. If I need to pay extra for those, I gladly will, just tell me how much and I'll go in and do another donation to speed things along.

Please let me know where I can get that deal for Hemmings ... the best 1 year rate I could find was $31.95 (55% off) for Hemmings Motor News and $18.95 (68% off) for Hemmings Classic Car.

What is it you thought Jack was supposed to personally send to you that you didn't get? He did the last few Handbook updates, but it is not his job to distribute. It is included in the New Member packet sent by the club Secretary or Membership Manager.  Jack is the current Quarterly editor (as of August 2017) but the publication is sent directly from the printer using a mailing list from the Secretary. It's also sent 3rd Class due to cost. The downside is the delivery is slow, it can be "lost" and is never ever forwarded. Please contact the club Secretary whenever a publication replacement is needed.

If you want to join for multiple years you can do what others have done: after the initial payment is processed, go back in & pay another year. Or two. Or three. However many you want. It's unfortunate that you couldn't do multiple years in one transaction. Our Webmaster does the best job he can but is restricted due to the confines of the host program.

I don't know when you joined, but I usually get notice from the Membership Manager within a few days to send out the current eBulletin. I have not received a request recently, but please be advised that Mike still works and has other obligations. Members get the monthly newsletter, 2 Quarterly magazine issues (Spring and Fall), a Roster (Summer Quarterly) and Calendar (Winter Quarterly), and the Handbook. You do not need to pay extra to get them, just be patient - remember he is a volunteer doing the best he can.

And last, but not least, Thank You for the extra $15 donation. I'm certain it will be applied where most needed.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
I was referring to the Hemmings Classic Car magazine, their 12 month old car magazine and not Hemmings Motor News.  Nonetheless, I did get Hemmings Motor News for one year recently for $28.  When I did subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car I was getting it for $12 a year.   I also got their Sports and Exotics magazine until they cancelled it.  Anyway, if a person grabs a Hemmings Classic Car off the newsstand at Barnes and Noble, a subscription card, or two will drop in your lap.  Last time I checked it was $12.  Maybe they have raised it but even at $18 or $19, it's a deal.  Sure, they pay for it by filling it with advertisers but it's a win win because of the price and excellent high resolution photography.

That's a bit off topic.  I apologize for continuing to state incorrect concepts.  I knew Jack personally is not responsible for sending out what he creates. But he is always extolling forum contributors by stating that what he just said - meaning a comment on a topic - is available to members in his version (whatever fill in the blank) of the latest CD. 

As for the delay in getting me going, I am sure it is due to the holiday.  I am in no rush I just don't want to be ridiculed for being a non member of your club anymore, so I joined. 
No old cars owned.