Author Topic: horn refurbishment?  (Read 782 times)

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
horn refurbishment?
« on: October 29, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
Is it possible to get into and fix the horns themselves (on a '53K)?  The right side one on my Manhattan doesn't work, just clicks.  I have it off the car now, but it looks like it might be a sealed unit.  And if I get it apart, is there anything to be done, or should I look for another one?
Thanks!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: horn refurbishment?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 04:45:37 PM »
I'm working on getting both horns to work on my '53 as well.  I'll let you know what I discover.  Jim

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
I'm not sure what your horns look like but it they're like Aero horns, the dome snaps on with 6 little tabs around the base. Working a couple of small thin screwdrivers around will pop it off. Most likely your points just need cleaning or adjusted.
My horns were really crusty but once opened they looked surprisingly good. If you're going for a full restoration take detailed photos & notes of how some of the parts & insulators "stack" up in the vibrating unit.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
This morning I tried the time-honoured method of hitting it a few times with a rubber mallet, and Hey Presto!  It's working now!  Diaphragm rusty, perhaps.  So now, for the first time in perhaps forty or fifty years, everything on the car works:  horns, radio, clock, heater/blower, all the lights - it's all good.  I went for a celebratory drive just now and honked at people!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan