Author Topic: Manufactering Fund. What do you need the most?  (Read 18124 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Manufactering Fund. What do you need the most?
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
Just thought I would ask the members, IF you could have 1 or 2 items made ( reproduced ) what would you need the most? Perhaps this will give us an idea what is really needed the most for YOU the club members. I personally have a 53 Manhattan, and don't need anything, although. IF I could get anything, a blank KEY with the "K" would be cool. I would love to have a few in the original aluminuim with a sharp crisp "K"
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Manufactering Fund. What do you need the most?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
as has been for awhile, '51 Frazer tallight lenses and the '51 Frazer front grille emblem.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »
A better way to respond here may be to indicate how many of a something (sets of tail lights, pairs of script, etc) that you would be willing to pay for up front on a pre-order basis.

Keep in mind also that the big expense in reproducing parts is making the tooling (dies, molds, fixtures, etc) needed to produce the part.  This was the stumbling block in the past.  By the normal cost economics of manufacture (taking into account those tooling expenses) at least 100-200 of an item (depending on what the item is) would be required.  Normally, this gets covered in large measure by prepaid orders up front before the item is worked up and produced. 

Typically, even on short runs you are looking in excess of $20,000 for tooling of something like VAGABOND script for a 1951 Frazer. 

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:56:55 PM »
"K" and "F" key blanks would be a hot seller. I'd buy a bunch even for ONE car.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »
2 pair '51 Frazer tail light lenses
1 '51 Frazer steering wheel (I know - not happening)

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
I have a couple of ideas for the manufacturing fund to investigate. Upper and lower tail light lens for a 54 Manhattan, $300 for a NOS Lower lens is out of the question and the repro upper lens bleach out in the sun after a few years is not good. Wheel cylinders for the front and rear, and paint for different year engines. I'm new to this Kaiser rebuilding process and it is difficult to find these parts at a reasonable price.

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »
I'd get a bunch of the "F" keys blanks too.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
Well, not going to get into automobile production numbers and such here, but lenses for the 1958 Edsel (unique fpr that year only) reproduction are available for $150 for all four back pieces and they do have some "design" to them rather than a round hunk of plastic. '54'55 years only Packard Clipper $320 for a pair and these are bigger than a Frazer's. If folks cannot find the lenses available, why would they even try to attempt a restoration, which may be why at least two '51 Frazers on ebay within the last few weeks have not sold.....parts are available. I could throw another item into the pool for remanufacturing although it would never be done, but I throw it into the hat because no one in two years of searching has been able to accommodate my need for a left front vent window assembly or the chrome door moldings for the '51 Frazers.  I agree also, '54 Kaiser lenses are also on the wish list and can sure concur with those cheapy fading repro safety glows. 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:40 PM »
I thought "something" was moving forward on the '51 lenses at the end of last year or first of this year? 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
I had heard the same thing about the '51 lenses.
waiting patiently (kind of)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
About the 51F tail light lenses, we need a minimum of 100 to make the project possible...so far we have commitments for about 1/4 that. So, the project has been shelved for now.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »
As I previously noted, the production cost of making the tooling means that much of a run needs to be pre-sold, or the person (if not the Manufacturing Fund) cannot hope to recover the cost of running these in the first place.

Forget about Edsel, Packard, etc....there are a lot more 1958 Edsels around today than any given year K-F product, and it is very possible that the molds for the lenses may have been scarfed up cheap at the Doehler-Jarvis bankruptcy auction some years ago.  When people looked in the old storage areas at D-J, they found all kinds of Packard, Hudson, FoMoCo, etc stuff (including the tooling for the 72 inch wide Packard center grille c.1954).  As for Packard, many of the owners will pay the premium to get proper quality reproduction items. 

Lastly, if you look at the prices asked and the conditions presented, there is no wonder that the 1951 Frazers did not sell, regardless of the tail light condition, especially in today's economy.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
Ive been told the club repoped the 53 style steering wheel some years ago and I would like to find one if they are the same as original.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
I would be interested in Kaiser keys and the three piece rear window weather seal for the 1954 Manhattan

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
stroker70: The repro steering wheel was white plastic and was not like the pearlite plastic used on Manhattans. As such it was more like the steering wheel used on 52-53 DeLuxe models (those were white painted hard rubber). I have heard a claim that such plain steering wheels can be painted to more closely resemble pearlite by using the right color of white with mica flakes added.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170