Author Topic: Thermostat housing modification  (Read 2895 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Thermostat housing modification
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
As you all may remember, I am in the process of rehabilitating a '48 Kaiser.  One of the parts that I had searched for and wasn't able to find was a thermostat housing specifically for a Kaiser or Frazer.  Kaiser Willys Auto Supply has used ones that fit the 6-226 engine so I ordered one.  Much to my dismay, the "ears" for mounting were too thick and there was no way the bolts in my already installed head would work.  After pondering this conundrum, I decided to modify the ears in order to make them thinner.  Using a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel, I was able to cut horizontally to the neck of the housing then vertically along the neck of the housing.  Use caution that you don't cut too deep towards the neck when cutting towards it!  When cutting downwards along the neck, make sure to keep your wheel parallel to the neck's axis or you may find you've cut too deeply.  A final dressing with a grinding wheel and it was ready for painting.  I wanted to share this in case anyone else had the same problem, I hope it helps.  I have pics of how mine turned out but wasn't able to post them here : (

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Thermostat housing modification
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
There are two styles that KF used. One is a cast unit, like you now have, and the other is a stamped steel housing that has ears that are only as thick as the stamping. The stamped unit is tougher to find as most rusted thru. If you were able to modify and use the cast unit, great!

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
Ahh, I was wondering what the difference was.  I was pleasantly relieved that my modification worked.  Here is a link to my pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phins_stuff/sets/72157624790613016/

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:51:46 PM »
Good for you!  Have you got it up and running now?

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »
Logan, yes I did get it up and running!  It smokes a bit after it gets warmed up but probably hasn't been driven more than 5 miles since it has been running.  I have to clean or replace the fuel line from the tank up and get a flexible line to the fuel pump.  Other than that I think it needs a king pin replaced  :-[  and the hood put back on.  I would love to drive it to Plainfield next summer for the midwest meet!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »
Sounds like you're making good progress--keep up the good work!

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:18 AM »
The smoking may go away after you can drive it. You'll need to put a load on the engine to seat the rings. That can hapen in 15 to 30 minutes. Find a place you can drive and acclerate with a little brake preasure aplied to keep the engine under load. This assumes fresh oil with an additive for the first few drives and checking the dip stick for any thing unusual.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421