Author Topic: brake lock  (Read 1740 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
brake lock
« on: March 15, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
On a '53 Kaiser I did the front brakes, sleeved wheel cylinders, new shoes, bled the system.   Everything seems ok and it stops good.   However, sometimes when I take off slowly the front wheel or wheels, can't tell, lock and I stop.   I pump the brake a few times, back up and hit the brakes and then move forward and eventually the wheels free up.   This only happens once in a while.   Does this seem like an adjustment problem?   Maybe I've gotten them too tight?   Let me know if you have any ideas.   thanks,  Jim

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: brake lock
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
Does the car still have the original front hoses on the brake lines? Those tend to shrivel up and suck shut so the fluid can't return. You can still get them at NAPA for around $40 apiece so they're not cheap. Easy to test, remove it and try to push an ice pick through it, or even blow through it. If it drags real hard, it may be a causing your problem.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
There might be a mechanical possibility as well, involving the return springs. The springs pull the shoes away from the drum when the hydraulic pressure is released-if a spring is broken or has not been mounted in the correct holes this force will be diminished. Might also be some other mechanical issue, such as a hold down clip getting out of place and jamming things. Exposing brakes on each wheel (starting with the front, obviously) and activating the brake should reveal any issues.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
I had a lock up problem a few times and discovered the left front brake shoe had slipped away from the front adjuster.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
I'll check things out ASAP.   thanks