Author Topic: convertable?  (Read 3851 times)

48 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
convertable?
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
I have a 48 Kaiser Special and am giving her a make over. It will have a 302 with 3 speed on the floor. I would like everyones thought on what they think about making it a convertable? Good idea or bad? Thanks

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: convertable?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
As a K-F Guy with a restoration mind it is a bad idea as K-F did not make one.
As a "Its your car do what you wish mentality",  I would worry about the body strength that was being compromised from the TOP you are cutting off.   Just one guys thoughts!
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

48 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Thanks and you are right about the strength being compromised. Thanks for the response

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
The 1949/50 Convertibles and the 1951 Frazer Convertibles used the same basic body as the '48.  On those cars there was a re-inforced frame and a brace behind the front seat from door post to door post to add strength and rigidity to it. There will be some challenges regarding body integrity.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

48 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
Thanks. So really I should leave it a hard top.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »
Well, it's not really a hardtop but I think I understand what you are referring to.  You are getting on a Kaiser-Frazer Owners website and requesting information on a car you intend to hot rod, basically. While the club recognizes modifieds (I think) it's going to make most of us cringe.

Having said that, in a review of cars out there, there is a surplus of "project" Kaisers so I say "go for it".  IF you can chop the top off then you can reinforce the frame and cowl to remove some of the loss of rigidity.

All people doing hot rods or modifieds are doing so to create a unique work of art as opposed to something someone else has. BUT I have seen many roof less cars on Craigs List after the owners gave up.  Then the car is ruined.  I would consider other customizing options, personally, because I would want a full convertible top on the car not just the top cut off. That shows detail and execution, but to simply cut the top off - not so much.  
No old cars owned.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
I agree with Roadmaster. I am a purist and like my cars as the day they came out of the factory, with maybe adding a correct factory accessory. Yet, it's your car, and I have seen some reall cool modifications. So, my question would be, Have you ever attemted doing that, or have the money to have it done? That's why there are those cars on craigs list, as well as in Hemmings, ect. of "project" cars because the guy didn't know that he was doing, and had no funds to do it.  Also, the other question is, "How long do you plan on keeping it"? If you want to keep if for a long time, do it, bu if you want to sell a modified, they can be hard to sell, as it was made for you, not someone elses idea of a modified Kaiser. One more thing, if you do the modification, please take lots of photos as you do it, then when it is finished, please write a article fr our club, and include a few photos. we would all love to see it. best of luck.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

48 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
Thanks. Thats what I meant by cutting the top off. I meant that I want to make it a conevertable with a soft top. I dont want to make a lot of changes with the Kaiser. I think she is awsome. I am just wanting to give it a little newer engine that is easier to get parts for. I think that it would look great as a convertable, but I was wanting others Kaiser lovers opinion before I did so. I do not plan on making it a hot rod.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
I'll chime in---If you wanted something different, you could install a fabric folding roof into an early Kaiser or Frazer for MUCH less than trying to make one into a convertible, and likely without destroying or compromising the structural integrity. The fabric roofs were used in the Studebaker Skytop (Larks, although one or two were fitted into Hawks) 61-63 and also some VW Beetles, Mercedes-Benz and other cars including some English makes. A German company called Golde was one of the manufacturers.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

48 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Very good idea. It never crossed my mind but now it does.  Thanks

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
And here's my two bits: While I generally leave my cars stock and prefer that to customization for many reasons, my opinion is that customizing, or even fully hotrodding a car will make me cringe a LOT less than seeing it go to the wrecker.  So, cut away (as long as you know what you are doing) and keep the pictures coming.  Good luck with your project!

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »
There are current companies making these folding/sliding fabric roofs for cars. Lost the web address but Googling might find it for you. Not all that expensive, in many sizes and colours. I was contemplating putting in one in my 88 AMC Jeep Wagoneer Limited, which covered (uncovered?) both the front and rear seats.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard