Author Topic: Gas Tank Discussion  (Read 838 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Gas Tank Discussion
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
On our 53K the gas gauge did not function.  Unplugged the Fuel Gauge wire in the trunk - Plugged in a 47 Fraz Fuel Tank Sending Unit and the dash gauge works properly.  Inspecting wire from trunk to tank shows lots of bare spots and needs to be replaced.  Appears that we have to drop the tank to replace this wire.

I am planning on replacing the rubber Hose between the filler Tube and the tank and its clamps.

Can I replace the trunk to gauge wire without dropping the tank??
If the tank is dropped ... should it be emptied / cleaned and coated?
Any and all advice will be appreciated.  THANKS
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas Tank Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:41 PM »
Seems earlier K's (51 anyway) had a raised area in the trunk floor that made it easier to access the sender unit connection atop the tank. On my (early) 53 there is no such and it is a beast trying to do anything without dropping the tank, which isn't really that big a deal. Wire does tend to rub off insulation, so replacement, along with the rubber hose connector is a good idea. Once one has gone through all that, it isn't that big a deal to clean out the tank and check for leaks. This might open a pinhole that was being plugged by crud, so I did line with some JC Whitney ethanol resistant stuff. Again, this wasn't a biggie. I'd also carefully check the steel line that comes out of the tank for integrity. My idea was that as removal is the biggest part of the effort, one might as well make sure everything else is coolsville  as well.

That said, my car is a lifetime WI resident, and rust issues are severe. If you are in a less salted part of the country, you might skip some of these steps.