Author Topic: Compression, head gaskets, etc.?  (Read 7521 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Compression, head gaskets, etc.?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »
Great news Mike! A severely flooded engine can be a real pain to get past.  I remember when I put the 6 cylinder engine in my '52 Henry J Vagabond back in '01, I did the same thing - flooded it real bad and could not get it started. I did  not know that was what I had done  till a week or so later. I was somewhat new to fuel systems at the time and I had purchased a new fuel pump from Ron Meditz. Being a novice at that time, I ran the fuel line through the vacuum boost section on that pump which has a much larger diaphram and pushes a lot more gasoline! More than the carb needle valve can stop. I remember running the starter and having gasoline spray out the top of the carb and acting like a windsheild washer!  Also, I had a partial exhaust pipe coming off the manifold. I got the clue that something was wrong when I noticed gasoline leaking out the exhaust pipe!  Now there's a clue that you're flooded...   Once I figured out I had the fuel line going through the wrong section of the pump, I still could not get the car started.  Ultimately, it came down to a fresh set of plugs and removing the carb and spraying a light dusting of starting fluid directly into the manifold while cranking the engine over. The cylinders fired, and we knew we were good to go. The fluid burns very dry and cleared the cylinders up. Reinstalled the carb and it started right up and has run great ever since.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:09:12 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios