Author Topic: 1953 Onyx colored Dragon for Sale  (Read 13576 times)

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Onyx colored Dragon for Sale
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
This car is for sale near Kansas City, MO, on I-70, near Sweet Springs, MO.  I think there may have been some discussion about this car back in the fall, but I don't think anyone had pictures, and I couldn't find the thread. I went to look at this car at that time, but I didn't think about posting the pictures in case anybody else is interested.  I recently came across the pictures on my computer and thought I would post them.

The car is at Lance Auto Investments, and when I called yesterday to see if it was still there, Mr. Lance said he has not had much activity with this car and that it is still there.  He says the motor and transmission have been rebuilt and that the car will come with about $1,000 worth of spare parts.  He said the price he has marked on the car is $11,000, but he said he would take $6,000 for it.  He said he had been driving it around yesterday.  I am trying to attach the pics of this car, and one of them has the firewall tag, which shows it is a true Onyx Dragon.  The interior is in very bad shape, and the paint is too, as well as the top covering, but it could be a very nice and rare car for someone who wants to fix it. 

Now, when I went to look at the car last fall, Mr. Lance told me over the phone that the price was $6,000, but when I got up there, he showed me that tag he had on the keychain that said $11,000. He said he had misquoted me the price, and if I wanted it for $6,000, I had to buy it that day.  I'm not sure what to make of that, but I was never looking for a car that needed much work to be enjoyable and left it alone for that reason.

If anyone is interested, I have two phone numbers for Mr. Lance: (816) 807-7753 and (660) 335-2255.  One of those is his cell phone, but I don't remember which one.  Also, Mr. Lance is hard to hear on the phone at first because he has an artificial voice.  When I was calling him last fall, I didn't know about his voice, and I hung up on him several times because I thought the phone was malfunctioning and giving me static.  If you know to listen for that, you can understand him just fine.

I'm not a mechanic or an expert on Dragons, but this seems to be a rare car that might make someone in the club happy.  Just thought I would post it to see what you all think and to see if anybody is interested in buying it and restoring it.

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Onyx colored Dragon for Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
Here are some other views of the car that wouldn't fit in the last post.  I do have more pictures, but I don't know if anybody is that interested.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »
Well, those of us regularly on the forum like photos no m atter whether we are going to buy the car or not. So ite is good you posted.  Very seldom if ever has a posting on here resulted in a sale.

The 1st thing I thought was the 53 club coupe in Onyx I posted about 2 months ago for $6000. That car is also very rare and it had better paint and interior and only needed fresh gas and normal items to run and drive. A good value at $6000.
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Received your PM.   Here is contact info on the rare and very reasonable 53 club "coupe" for $6000 obo in Onyx --> I am in Rome, Ga and will give you more details if you enjoy the pics. Thanks, Steve (Lloyd) ( 706-252-2052 )
I have not been in contact with Mr. Lloyd since I bowed out of making an offer. I made recommendations to him to get it running, which adds value.  I did personally speak with Mr. Lloyd and found him to be honest and extremely pleasant.  My issue was I could not close the deal "quickly" as I am involved in getting 4 purchased cars delivered.

I am as much a "limited production" guy as the next one but if I had an "apples to apples" choice between Mr. Lloyd's 2 door club car (Onyx) and Mr. Lances 4 door Onyx Dragon it's not a contest.  They made, what? about 2400 53 Manhattan 2 doors and 1300 or so Dragons.

So the numbers are not an issue. Both are rare and given Carlton Spencers desire to colorize KF cars, there are going to be few numbers matching 53 Onyx cars like these 2. So it comes down to which car is better.  There is ZERO doubt in my mind that Mr. Lloyds car is superior. We know the history.  It was owned and maintained by his dad and prior was owned by a significant collector that favored KF cars. It's not perfect but should be a get in and enjoy car now.

I have a personal history with Mr. Lance. I have purchased 2 vehicles from him. I have spent a considerable amount of time with him.  Frankly, he looked about 60 years old in the mid 90's and I thought he was out of business when he closed in an old location near Bates City and moved to his new location.  I figured when the Bates City location ceased, he had died.  Guess not.

He relied for many years on locals basically giving him cars that were in the woods. He would go pick them up for $150 total cost and offer them for $1500. I do not have an issue with this as he saved many cars and he has costs.  But he oversells cars like any salesman, as you have noted. (i.e. this price is good today only)

Cash clearly talks. I think if someone showed up with $3000 comprised of 30 $100 bills, the Dragon would have a new owner. NOBODY is going to buy it for $6000.  Only those of us on this forum and in the KFOCI are fascinated with Dragons. if some shmo from KC stops in on the way back to KC, he is looking for 55 Chevys, end of story.  And I think Mr. Lance cut his teeth on the speculation driven market of the late 1980's where if you put a crappy 57 Chevy out there for sale, a KC guy working at the Pontiac plant, ahead on his mortgage by 2 months, would buy it at a premium.

So Mr. Lance could have this car for quite awhile.   He can explain all day long how rare the Dragon is but it's a 4 door sedan to everyone but the crowd here. Look at ebay. There is a Dragon for sale from a TX that has been on there for 2 years. Stardust Ivory I think?  Full-on project but they won't budge off $1395 (I've tried)  Stupid. First, it needs everything, very rough and missing key Dragon jewelry.  So it sits and sits.  The audience is very small (us) so it's dumb to say how rare it is.

But Mr. Lance, bless his heart, lives in a vacuum because of his age and his copy of the "Standard Catalog of American Cars" that says Dragons are "really rare".    What is the top price some of you would pay for a full-on Dragon project? $1500, $2000? 

Doesn't matter if Charlie Lance's Dragon runs. I want to rebuild the motor for security sake, don't you? 

Interior needs redone (except dash looks decent) Body needs paint ($5000-$7000 done right)  Look, you either have completed, restored  cars that are nice or you don't. 

Those that don't will be looking at $15,000 to $35,000 restoration costs minimum. So, this means initial purchase cost needs to be no more then $2,000, maybe $3,000 for special model like a Dragon.

Therefore, Mr. Lloyds 53 Manhattan Club coupe is a huge bargain as it has most critical stuff already rebuilt or replaced, has decent Onyx paint and nice replacement interior. Tweak it? yes, but no need to do a full on restoration like my Polar Grey Virginian. My purchase price?  $600.  When the seller told me "It's a Virginian!" I said "take it or leave it". Now it's in my garage.  Mr. Lance may have his "Dragon" quite a number of years.   $3000 is a fair and reasonable price for that cool car.  I would gather 30 $100 bills and see if he bites. If not, walk away.  Just my thoughts.

Part of the problem with outside forces trying to dictate pricing of KF cars is that there isn't mcuh difference between a "normal" KF and one of the special models (excepting maybe the convertible)  Take the 53 Dragon. Jewelry only. You could get a nicely equipped 53 Manhattan with Hydramatic.  Next to a Dragon it looks pretty much as nice.  But in the reference manual, non members see limited production and add $$$ to the sales price.

Issue is not the capitalistic country we live in, which allows this, but that the car in question may not fall into the hands of a collector and restorer who will preserve it.   As with this Lance Onyx Dragon.  It deserves to be in the hands of a KFOCI restorer, not sitting for another 5 years on Charlie Lances car lot because he wants a 250% profit instead of a 100% profit. P****s me off!   Or the ebay Stardust ivory Dragon....   

Welcome to the dark side of collecting.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:29:04 PM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
While there were more 2-door 1953 Manhattan Club Sedans than 1953 Kaiser Dragons, the Dragon has a much higher survival rate.  Check the KFOCI Registry.

51FrazerManhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
Roadmaster49, everything you say makes sense to me.  Kaiser-Frazer cars are special, and they have a special following, though not a large one.  There's an Allstate for sale here in Branson, MO, for $17,500 because the guy got it out of a museum and thinks it's rare and should be expensive.  Meanwhile, he has it sitting out in front of a restaurant here in town, and I can see it slowly going downhill.  I told him that even though Kaiser-Frazer cars are rare, they don't go for high prices, and I told him that the longer he lets it sit out there, the worse it will get.  He didn't seem to hear anything I said.  Since I've been watching it in recent months, the tires are getting flatter and flatter, and a tail light lens is now busted. 

I do not know Mr. Lance personally at all, and I only posted the notice because I thought somebody else might be interested.  I think you're right about the 30 $100 bills having an effect on Mr. Lance though.  When I looked at the car, I was fairly new to the KF world, but I knew I didn't want a car that was a huge project.  The 51 Frazer I got was a great price, and it runs very well, and I'm hooked.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
I still appreciate the photos. Always like photos.  Someone will get it one day.  The last car I bought off of him was consigned and the consigner finally got to where he put it on ebay. I bought it and then realized it was located at Charles lot.  When I showed up, Charlie kept saying I got a steal.  It was a no reserve ebay auction that ran twice with no bids. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
Another Dragon that needs purchased is that Turqouise one in southern Illinois that was special ordered to look like the 6 Chicago show cars.  He wants (wanted) $3000 for it and probably would sell in the $2000 to $2500 range.  I think that interior would be OK with a good cleaning (dark brown leather an vinyl)  body is good and it's complete. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:50:29 AM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
Another Dragon that needs purchased is that Turqouise one in southern Illinois that was special ordered to look like the 6 Chicago show cars.  He wants (wanted) $3000 for it and probably would sell in the $2000 to $2500 range.  I think that interior would be OK with a good cleaning (dark brown leather an vinyl)  body is good and it's complete.

Roadmaster49 ,

We do need to keep up with all the Rare K.F. Products... Try to get New Owners to Join the Club. 

Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
Is the 1953 Onyx colored Dragon for Sale a Golden Dragon? I see the gold plated hood medallion sitting on front seat.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Hey AZ, just some info as I see this same misinterpretation often.  The term "Golden Dragon" referred to a trim package available on 1951 Kaisers. The 1953 Kaiser Dragons had gold plated scripts, hood and trunk emblems and hood ornaments but their model designation was simply "Dragon."  Because of the gold trim, people often refer to the 1953 cars as "Golden Dragons" but really, the Golden Dragon was only  produced in 1951.
All 1953 Dragons had the gold plated items mentioned.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »
Like always, thank you Fid. I would be the first to admit I do not know much about Kaisers, other than 1951 to 52 Henry Js. I have certainly fell in the trap that all Dragons with gold are 'Golden Dragon'. Now that I know only 1951 can be Golden Dragons, I will not be mislead again.  Knoweldge is power.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
Just curious about the sensor on the head bolt of the black Dragon, the rear window wiper, and the ivory colored control knob next to the hood release lever 
non KF add on's?

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »
Just curious about the sensor on the head bolt of the black Dragon, the rear window wiper, and the ivory colored control knob next to the hood release lever 
non KF add on's?

The Ivory Colored control knob is the same that come with the Fog Lights ... It may be for the extra reat glass wiper.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

OLDNMKFR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
Wild Guess #1: Based on the 2 prong electrical style plug on top of the 'sensor'--could that be a head bolt heater that goes into the water jacket? If the bolt was drilled for a cylinder head temp gauge for example, wouldn't that make it too weak to torque? I was also curious about the red control on the chrome part of the dash that is just barely visible to the immediate left of the steering column. Also, didn't Dragons have a special plate with the owners name on the glove box instead of the K emblem?

Possibility #1: I used to live in Kansas City and worked with a gentleman at the Main Post Office who bought a black 1953 Dragon with only a very few miles on it that he said was really-really cheap. It was the only one that I ever saw in the 60+ years that I lived there.  It did have the rear wiper which was a REAL curiosity back then. He said that the Studebaker lot on Truman Road (Pioneer Studebaker?) gave him special financing---He was supposed to pay a set amount every 1st and 15th of the month and they would tell him when it was PAID OFF! We used to really get on him about that. When I helped get the contents of the KC Zone Kaiser-Willys depot for George Buchinger, I remember that he wanted to by some Dragon trim from me but I had already shipped it to Chicago and besides it wasn't really mine to sell. I think that Jessee Ehlers also had a black Kaiser with red leather interior, but wasn't it a 54?

Former Member #511
Current Family:
2017 Toyota IM
2003 Toyota Corolla
1997 Buck Skylark Custom
1966 Chrysler 300 Convertible (440 TNT)
Former Family:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Darrin #137
1948 Kaiser
1951 Kaiser 4 dr w/overdrive