Author Topic: Rearend rebuild  (Read 1314 times)

kdar353

• View Profile
Rearend rebuild
« on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
Need names of sources for rebuilding stump for Darrin rearend. Any help appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rearend rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
The Darrin did use the same running gear as the Henry  J so you've checked both boards I see. I will mention that you need to be careful if you're thinking of using a Henry J rearend as there were three different ratios used in the J. The most common one, and the one you likely need for the Darrin, is the 41/9 (4.55:1). This one was used the early four cylinder Js with and without overdrive and the 6 cylinder Js with overdrive.
Then there's the 41/10 (4.10:1) which was used in the 6 cylinder Js without overdrive. Many restorers / rebuilders like to replace the 41/9 with the 41/10; while it is not as quick off the line, the high end cruising is a little better and also, if your overdrive quits working for any reason, you can still do about 60 mph with the 41/10. If the overdrive stops working with the 41/9 rearend, you'll be able to go about 45 mph and the engine screams at 50 mph.
The third type is the 47/11 which was used in '52 - '53 four cylinder Js without overdrive. I've never heard if or how this one might do with 6 cylinder with OD in front of it.
The way to identify which one it is is by a metal tag fastened to one of the rear end cover bolts. The tag will have either 41/10, 41/9 or 47/11 stamped on it.

I see www.kaiserwillys.com has rearend parts but I don't know if they would work in the Henry J or the Darrin -

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-rear-axle-parts-accessories

Terry T is the Darrin guy on here. Haven't seen him on here lately but he likely would be able to provide you with good information so check back - this board and the Darrin board.

Also, click on attachment below to see a copy of Rudy Phillip's latest catalog - he may have what you need as well and if it's not listed in the catalog, give him call as he can often point you in the right direction. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:01:57 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kdar353

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »
FID
Thanks for the helpful links. I need a carrier housing. My gears are like new.
Bill #353

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
I think all that is different is the ring gear (41 or 47 teeth) and the pinion (9, 10 or 11 teeth). The rest should be the same. The caution was in case you decided to replace the whole thing with another one..
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios