Author Topic: 53 on E-Bay  (Read 1697 times)

Mr Manhattan

• View Profile
    • Email
53 on E-Bay
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53 on E-Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
I put it in my watch list. It looks like a rare Dragon, but certainly a project.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
Not sure it's a Dragon, but it was a Manhattan at one point.   
No old cars owned.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Yes, it is a Dragon.  Look at the pleated bambu vinyl on the dash and package shelf, also the bambu in the trunk.  Also, look at the Marie Nichol's patterned cloth inserts (green on white) on the back seat.  You can also make out "Dragon" on the right front fender.  It's a Dragon all right, but an expensive one to restore.    Looks like it sold for $550, which is reasonable.  This is the kind of car I don't mind seeing rodded, since the alternative would probably be the junkyard.  Notice the '54 in the background.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
Logan
Thanks for bringing this back up because I like to track ACTUAL sales, especially ones with 16 bids.  This is TRUE market value for a full-on non titled Dragon.  I am still not 100% sure it's a Dragon without seeing the VIN. Where are the shred's of vinyl top?  But, having said that I am no Dragon expert (except by VIN) and I am surprised some of the other forum regulars didn't chime in with comments on this one.   

At $550 THIS IS a good sale price for an ambitious restoration. Typically, $300 is crusher price, so the market adjusted value makes it close to free, thereby allowing a potential restoration.  It's when the sellers ask crazy money like $3500 for something like this that sales never happen and cars never get restored or parted for value. 
No old cars owned.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
If it is not a true Dragon, someone at some point went to extraordinary lengths to make it one.  I am 99.9% sure it is a Dragon because of (as I mentioned): pleated bambu vinyl on dash and package shelf, Laguna cloth seat inserts, bambu vinyl in trunk.  The evidence of prior "Dragon" chrome on fenders is easier to fabricate.  And, you are correct, without seeing the numbers you can never be sure, but as I said, someone at one time did everything to make it a Dragon if it was not already one.  It's easy to rip the vinyl off the top.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
It's a true Dragon.  Have several pictures of it and seen it personally myself prior to it going on e-bay.  End of thread.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
Well OK, I guess it's a Dragon.  Wasn't implying that the odds were less in favor of it being one.   Wonder what happened to it?  Did you buy it for $550?  Or is it in the hands of a KF collector intending to restore?
No old cars owned.