Author Topic: 5" ducting  (Read 8223 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
5" ducting
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
I am having a hard time locating the 5" diameter ducting for the fresh air intakes on my '53 Kaiser.  I don't need new or NOS just as long as it is intact and doesn't leak (mine is shredded).  Does anyone know where I could get some?

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: 5" ducting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
I believe the hose is the same as Studebaker used. If so, you can get it from Studebaker Int. out of Greenfield In. Also, I think it's the same size as heater hose for dryers, as in washer and dryer. I have used that before in an old Studebaker I had, works great.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:59:20 PM »
If you don't mind it being made of aluminum, there are a lot of choices at your local hardware store. I'd go to a good hardware store and see if they have some made from other materials in their books.
KFOCI #9798

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »
I used a tin clothes dryer duct and painted it black to match the rest of the car.  It works and looks fine, if you're not into a perfectly correct restoration.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:24:52 PM »
Also look at RV places for the duct.   

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
I am having a hard time locating the 5" diameter ducting for the fresh air intakes on my '53 Kaiser.  I don't need new or NOS just as long as it is intact and doesn't leak (mine is shredded).  Does anyone know where I could get some?
Mine is "porus" as well. Thanks to the mice that got into it. The worst is the defroster duct tube that had the remnants of several nests in it when I bought the car.

Personally, I'd go with the aluminum/tin expandable stuff for dryers and stove vents as suggested above unless you are going to "true to original" looks for shows and such.

The heater/defroster doesn't have a lot of airflow as it is and the "coil" type flexible duct really messes up airflow. The aluminum stuff has much smaller corrugations to it and would probably give you more airflow from the heater and defroster if you drive the car a lot.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I might try that.  Thanks.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »
Logan:

This might be just what you're looking for.

http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10618/s-10401/p-100000280611/mediaCode-CP/appId-100000280611/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000280611

If the link doesn't work just go to carparts.com and put in part number 50CP1604X

It's 20 5/8" long by 5 1/4" ID. "Flexible thermoplastic alloy tubing reinforced with galvanized steel wire for durability. Temperature resistant from -40° F to +250° F."  $13.60.  This looks like a viable option for myself as well.

They also have the rubberized cloth, wire reinforced tubing in four sizes from 2" to 3" which should cover off the feed duct under the dash to the defroster outlet(s). Just search for "Fresh Air Duct Hose" and you should find it. (Around $12 for 4'.)

(There is an aluminum one for beetles as well. That's not the one you want.)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
Hey, this looks great!  Actually it looks like it might be rectangular.  I wonder if you can shape it?  I wonder if it will be long enough at 20"--I'll have to measure.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:09:51 PM by Logan »

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
fresh air hoses:   JC Whitney   5"  P/N 248-814-136.     

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »
Hey, this looks great!  Actually it looks like it might be rectangular.  I wonder if you can shape it?  I wonder if it will be long enough at 20"--I'll have to measure.
One problem with CarParts site (and JC Whitney) is that they use one "generic" picture and toss a bunch of items under it. The first couple of hoses are rectangular because there are width and height measurements. The rest only have one measurement and are round.

jmxkf1: I discovered - after ordering parts from CarParts.com, that they are a fully owned subsidiary of JC Whitney. Go to the home pages of both sites and they are almost identical. But where CarParts says "cheapest competitor" in their prices, it's usually the JC Whitney price they are quoting. And CarParts is lower on almost everything. Plus if you live in Canada you only have to spend $50 to get free shipping. (It's $99 on JC Whitney.)

I placed a large order with CarParts for hardware, window channels and beltline moldings, etc. And, an 80 Amp 6 volt negative ground alternator. CHROMED. For $85.00.

My confirmation email for the shipment came with a JC Whitney header on it. That's when I discovered they are "connected".

Rick

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
I tried to order the 5 inch duct hose from Whitney and they told me it was no longer available even though it was still listed in their catalog. Did you purchase any from them and if so how long ago? Larry

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
Go to www.carparts.com.

search "fresh air intake" you should see a rectangular hose pic.

Click it, the 5 1/4" is second from the bottom. I just added it to my shopping cart no problems. Says it's "In Stock Ships in 24 Hours". Price is $13.59. I'll be JC Whitney is $16.99 because that's what they claim the "Leading discounter" price is.

This is on my shopping list for my next order. One piece might do both sides because the one on the blower motor side is pretty short.

FWIW, my last order arrived last night. Delivered by Purolator. (A Canadian courier like UPS and Fedex.) All I had to do was sign for it. The flat rate $11.99 they charge for Canadian orders covered all taxes and duties. And, it was heavy. One box had a 4' x 24' roll of foil backed insulation in it. Tube with all the window channels must have weighed 15 pounds. (The window channels and beltline moldings look perfect!) and the box with several screw and hardware assortments, upholstery tools, trim clips, etc. another 15 pounds. Free shipping. Gotta love it!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
Just ordered mine.  Thanks for finding this, I had been having a hard time finding the correct size.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »
'54 Kaiser, have you received your air intake yet?  I got mine today and it's not at all the correct part.  For one thing, it's molded almost rectangular, not round at all.  Also, although I didn't take it out to the car, it doesn't look like it's long enough--at any rate it would be close.  I'll have to send it back.