Author Topic: Chasing Classic Cars  (Read 2424 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Chasing Classic Cars
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
Taped a new Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Cirini and he visited a major collection in Oregon that included at least 3 KF cars.  They gave camera time to 2 of them, a very nice silver Darrin (I believe I remember it was silver) and a fantastic Dragon. I also spotted a mint green 51 Frazer convertible.

He talked up the Dragon which I found hard to believe.  Carini had many many cars to choose from to give camera time and he usually goes for Italian or classic era cars.

Anyone else see this show?  Anybody know of these cars and this collection? 
No old cars owned.

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chasing Classic Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
BTT

Saw a recent program (Velocity channel) where Wayne bought a 54 Manhattan.  Came looking to see chat here, but found none.  Hmmm, folks missed it, or had nothing to say?  Oh well, searched, came up with this thread, so added note to it...think they tie together...

Appears that Carini has soft spot for the marque... think that's great, gave Kaiser a good bump with TV audience.   Although he missed a couple of points (Kaiser didn't make it's own engine, and SC'd cars were 2 yrs, not just 54...believe, more easy to find parts than suggest.)

If you haven't seen the recent program, sure it will come around again..  Perhaps he'll do a follow up on what happens to the car he purchased, once he fixes the exhaust leak?

Can't have done anything but good/increased awareness and value for all?

Watch for re-airing....

Bob L.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:05:24 AM by Bob L. »

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
On a previous Chasing Classic Cars Wayne was at a collection with a number of cars and I was "surprised" he walked right past a 1951 Frazer convertible with no mention of it all on his way to another room to see some kind of old Ford.
This episode was on again last night.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:30:45 AM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Occasionally he goes into collections with Kaisers. I remember seeing a 53 Dragon in one.

As to his errors on the SC years and Kaiser making it's own engines - yes I heard those comments too but the guy is a generalist, like me, and it has to hard to remember all of the details.

He has been doing CCC for years now, and even though his notoriety means that he probably gets a lot of referrals - he also might be seeing the well run dry on that era of cars he typically goes for - the classic era Packards, Cadillacs and such. 

He will certainly sell the 54 Kaiser. I don't see him keeping it in his personal collection. 

Bob L - sorry I missed your original post on this car and show.  I agree it can only help expose the KF's. 
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:46:14 PM »
Kaiser certainly did not design the Continental engines as that was done in the early thirties but they contracted with Continental to supply them but when the contract to build them was too much for Continental, Kaiser did build their own engine plant in Detroit and actually built the engines for many years.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
A note to Bob L. Kaiser did produce it's own engines. When Kaiser and Frazer began production, Continental Engine could not keep up with production because Kaiser was building and selling cars faster than Continental could build engines. Kaiser Frazer then began building the Continental Engines at a separate factory.

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
A note to Bob L. Kaiser did produce it's own engines. When Kaiser and Frazer began production, Continental Engine could not keep up with production because Kaiser was building and selling cars faster than Continental could build engines. Kaiser Frazer then began building the Continental Engines at a separate factory.

Thanks, good info....  Guess that's why mine has "Kaiser 226" cast into head?   

++++ folks, here, now talking about Wayne and that show! 

Personally, think his is one of the better TV car shows... One can only take so much of hollerin', extreme deadlines, 2 day "show quality" paint jobs, and big buck flips... (don't see much deep love...just chest tumping about making money.)    Wayne covers a wide range of stuff, and appears to be a true car guy....believe he appreciates it all.

Bob L.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »
The 1954 Kaiser Manhattan that Wayne Carini bought belonged to Harry Golden. Mr. Golden attended Kaiser meets in the New England area. I first saw Mr. Golden's Manhattan at the Springfield Auto Museum several years ago. Mr. Golden has since passed away, and those that saw the Chasing Classic Cars episode saw how Wayne Carini came to purchase the car. I Emailed Wayne last Friday 3 November 2017 and the car is for sale. The car is a very nice example of a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan. I want to purchase the car, but I cannot afford a divorce at this time. I have a 1951 Frazer Manhattan 4 door hardtop and a 1954 Kaiser Darrin, so this Manhattan would fit right in.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Wayne occasionally attends Hershey and it was there I had the opportunity to speak with him a few years ago. We spoke briefly about Kaisers and at the time, he had a Darrin in on consignment. He was cleaning it up for a client and had someone in mind to sell it to.

I just checked his website, f40.com and didn't see the Kaiser for sale but he doesn't always list everything that's available.

Regarding the '226' head casting, that was done to coincide with the introduction of the supercharger. KF had been building their own engines for a few years already.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
I checked the F40 website on Friday to see if the 1954 Manhattan was listed. It was not, that is when I Emailed Wayne to find out if the car was for sale. I did not inquire about price.