Author Topic: Remote Oil Filter  (Read 2597 times)

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote Oil Filter
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
I have a 1951 Henry J with the "Supersonic" 6 engine.

I found a remote oil filter that comes with a couple lines on ebay and was thinking of cleaning up and either installing for functionality or for looks.

Would someone kind soul out out there in Cyberspace please provide a photo (or two) of the canister and lines location??

Thanks in advance, Reggie

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Remote Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
Here's the installation on a 6 cylinder engine using the correct filter canister.

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks much, kind sir!!!

Reggie

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
I've voiced my opinion on HJ oil filters a few times.
My two cents - the oil filter kit for the J (and other KF products for that matter), is just a "by-pass" filter. It's a side path that gets some oil sloshed through it but not part of the oil circulation path so it's very ineffective. To me, it's one more thing that can and often does, leak and make an awful mess. That's why I won't install one on any of my cars.
I change my oil every spring, usually it has between 500 - 700 miles on it, and not that dirty when I change it.
I just think that draining the canister and installing a new filter and trying to get it to seal is a lot of work for a feature that provides little, if any, benefit.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
The HJ oil filters should use the same kit that Willys-Overland sold for the 4 & 6, only difference is the packaging.  Normally the canister unit in the box was a Fram C-3 which was a different flow path than the P-70FF.  Of course there were different routings for the lines on the 4 and the 6.  Unfortunately, we're moving this month & all the stuff is packed up for transport as soon as I finish the shelves.

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:04:20 AM »

I agree with Fid no more than these cars are driven a filter is not needed, and a broken oil line can be catastrophic.

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
 original installation instructions

'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
I'm now convinced.

Anyone want to buy a filter set-up??  Might restore and put on for show without the oil lines installed. Why, say you. Don't know says I. Too much time on my hands I guess.

Reggie

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
Thanks Mister Custom for the oil filter installation diagram. Have already printed out and added to my ever growing Henry J file.

Though I may never use it, who knows what the future may have in store?? :-\

Reggie

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
I will go even further than Fid on the HJ oil filter. Not only is it nearly useless it is dangerous. It draws its oil from the oil galley ,istead of being in series to the oil flow,resulting in a differential oil pressure along the galley .I never added one to my Js and I always removed them when I got a new J.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
No wonder there are some for sale on the internet just waiting for gullible old men like myself.

Really appreciate the responses, and quick they are, from those that have the knowledge and know-how which I seem to lack.

Reggie  8) :o ;D ;) :-\ :P

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
Just to add to it - we rebuilt the engine in my '53 over Christmas 1971/72.  I've put about 30,000 miles on it since then and always keep clean oil in it; every 1,000 miles or less and as mentioned, usually at 500 - 700. Forty-two years later it still runs great and still does not smoke or use oil and it never had an oil filter on it. I drove it to Galena, IL and back in 2003 (600+ miles round trip) and to Auburn, IN and back in 2004 (1200+  miles round trip) - trouble free.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios